Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 416c rear input shaft seal replacment

pswalker ยท 2024-06-15 13:41

Trying to find information on replacing this leaking seal. How hard of a job would it be? Rear drive shaft to rear axle. I think that is what they call the input seal. Part numbers to order would be great as well or pros and cons of doing it yourself. 1998 416c 5yn04457 Thanks for help. Pat

Replies3
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-06-19 06:35

    Pull the drive shaft remove the yoke and pop out seal

  2. #2edgephoto2024-06-19 09:14

    The driveshaft comes out super easy. Undo the saddle straps on the yoke at the rear axle, then slide it out of the transmission. To pull the seal there are tools for this. 1. A seal remover pries it out. 2. Slide hammer bearing puller sets have a little foot that you use to pop the seal. 3. Put a screw into the seal and grab it with Vise-Grips and pull it out. I have a slide hammer setup and that works great. For seals the slide hammer can't get I use a screw. Just rebuilt a New Process Transfer case the other day and I used both methods for the seals. One last thing. Look closely where the seal rides. If it is grooved at all a new seal won't seal. You either need a new yoke, a Speedi-Sleeve to give it a new surface to ride on or have a machine shop weld it and turn it down on a lathe.

  3. #3pswalker2024-06-23 10:26

    Thanks. That helps. P