Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 Bobcat 863 fuel problem

JKH ยท 2017-03-27 13:19

It just cut off while running fine. After sitting 5-10 minutes will crank, run few minutes, then cut off again. I have changed fuel filter and bled out air. have disconnected fuel supply hose in front of squeeze bulb and connected hose to a can of fuel (to isolate fuel tank). Still does same thing. I can push fuel to the 4 fuel pumps with the squeeze bulb but not past. Any suggestions?

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-03-27 18:26

    It has a lift pump on it.. what your doing is feeding the lift pump w/ the squeeze bulb.. the LP might be bad.. Loosen the line going into the 1st inj. pump.. and crank the engine.. are you getting fuel or air?? Does the engine shut off w/ the key or pull cable?? IF its a key, it has an electric solenoid on it.. it may be bad.. The last pump should have an overflow valve in it.. a spring loaded valve that holds pressure in the pumps.. make sure its not broken..

  2. #2crewchief8882017-03-27 19:40

    does it sputter and die? or dies like you turned the ign off? since it will restart after 5-10 minutes, (i'm assuming all you did was wait, and didnt reprime the fuel system,) my best guess is the fuel shutoff solenoid/engine harness connector is the problem. on the early style solenoid has a square connector with a screw retainer directly on the solenoid, the connector gets water in it, corrodes the contacts. later style solenoid has a pigtail with a different connector/ adapter harness that plugs into the square connector. the new solenoid is polarity sensitive.

  3. #3JKH2017-03-27 22:43

    Thanks Pumpguys and crewchief. You guys are right on it. I took the shutoff solenoid out and it runs. the solenoid seems to operate when I first turn the key on but must release after a few minutes shutting off the fuel. Any suggestions on electrical connections to check?

  4. #4thepumpguysc2017-03-28 06:23

    ALOT of those engines have shut down sensors on them.. low oil, temp and belt tension.. Just because you eliminated the shut down, doesn't really mean you found the problem.. The sol. is just a 2 wire set-up, right? +&-.. something must be telling it to shut off.. In my experience its either a bad oil pressure sensor or sloppy belts, tripping the shut down. Do you have to push & hold a "safety button" while cranking, before the engine will start?? IF so, it has an oil pressure sensor.. by the oil filter.. IF I had a dollar for every one I've replaced I'd be rich.. Thats not to say, you don't have a bad sh-off solenoid.. it just takes some checking..

  5. #5JKH2017-03-28 09:46

    Thanks again guys. I have it running with the solenoid out but now need to find the "real" problem. I will check for (a)solenoid wiring connection (it does have the old style square connector with screw retainer), (b)oil pressure sensor (can I unplug it to verify problem?), (c)sloppy belts.

  6. #6Delmer2017-03-28 14:15

    I'd go about it the other way. Put the solenoid back on and hook some test leads to the wiring to see if it loses voltage when it stalls or if it still has voltage. It's not at all unusual for a solenoid to work cold, and fail when it warms up. Or, leave the solenoid off and hook the test leads to the wiring connector to see if it shuts off after 5-10 minutes, or if the voltage stays the same. Then try to see what shuts it off, IF that's the case. OR, third option, plug the solenoid in with the key on, but engine not running and see if it holds for 5-10 minutes. You see where I'm going with this, check the voltage at the connector in the conditions it fails, before going upstream or downstream.

  7. #7JKH2017-03-28 15:50

    thanks, Delmer. I like your approach. I have to go away for a few days and will get back on it next Monday. Will respond again when I know more. I appreciate all you guys help.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2017-03-28 18:21

    Yeah, that's what I was getting at with out spelling it out.. sorry..

  9. #9JKH2017-04-03 22:29

    OK, looks like the problem is solved. Crewchief, you nailed it! I cleaned the shutoff solenoid connection, reinstalled, and its still running. You guys were a big help. I appreciate it. Thanks.

  10. #10crewchief8882017-04-04 17:57

    wish i had a nickel for every one of those ive fixed, coulda retired by now....