Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 Cat 446b

CSaley ยท 2013-03-07 14:41

I am looking into buying a 98 Cat 446b that was potentially involved in the hurricane sandy flood waters. I have never worked on a Cat this year and was wondering how full of electronics they are? I am worried about having electrical issues if I buy this machine. I have a Case 580k at the moment, and it doesnt have many electronics from what ive seen. Mechanical engine, mechanical controls, etc etcc. I am wondering if the Cat is the same as this? This would be a farm use machine and not an everyday worker. Thanks for any input Chris

Replies3
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-03-07 19:01

    Not much electronics on a 98. Later Bob

  2. #2Dickjr.2013-03-07 22:26

    FWIW I know of a JD 310SG that went under just about a foot of the top of the boom out of the water and was that way for 2 days. The drained in out changed what fluids it affected and it runs well. They have put almost a 1000 hrs on it since with no problems. I think what helped most was they got right on it after the water went down. The ac and radio don't work but I bet wouldn't be a big problem to fix.

  3. #3SocalHDR2013-03-08 17:48

    They have a transmission control module in the battery box and that's about it