Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom Pin Removal

outbackrider ยท 2013-03-06 20:41

Have to remove the boom cylinder on my JD 310 in order to replace the hydraulic hose. Before I start, I want to make sure I know how this pin is removed. Sorry, not the best photo... One side has a bolt through it, the other side has a grease fitting. Do I just remove the bolt and grease fitting and pound it back through the bolt side? This sounds elementary, but I am not sure if I can just pound this out or do I have to pull it out with some kind of puller. Hope to work on this over the weekend. Thanks. Bolt Side View attachment pin a.bmp Grease Fitting Side View attachment pin b.bmp

Replies2
  1. #1Deon2013-03-06 21:34

    With the bolt removed, the pin should easily be pushed out with punch and hammer. What's important is that you rest the boom down on a sturdy support (not far enough down to bottom out the chlinder) and positioned so that you can remove the cylinder. Once the boom is supported, turn off the machine and after the engine is off, work all the backhoe levers to release pressure from the lines. Slide a wood plank into the boom under the cylinder so that you can slide the cylinder out and then back in on the plank. There may be a better way but this is how I have done it. Good luck.

  2. #2outbackrider2013-03-06 21:47

    Thanks Deon, I saw one of your posts on this procedure early on. I really appreciate your help. Once I remove the bolt from the pin, I will punch it out in the direction of the grease fitting? The boom cylinder hose blew and the boom is now pinned in the upright position. Have to chain hoist the boom forward, pull the pin and then let it down so I can begin to access the cylinder. I will use some 4x4 cribbing to rest the boom on. This will be lots of fun...I can tell. Thanks.