Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 series 1 580SL will not start anymore

Tonytnt · 2023-10-31 14:13

Hi, I have had this backhoe for about 10 years. It ran perfectly and started easily without any trouble. I ran it the other day and parked it.( machine ran well). I went to start it the next day. and all it would was just turn over. but would not start. I tried quick start and it would run on it. and then die out. I disconnected one of the fuel supply lines off the back of the injector pump. and had my wife turn it over. There was just a little squirt pulsing out of the end. I'm not sure what volume should be coming out. Any ideas where I should start troubleshooting ? Cheers. TT

Replies30
  1. #1Billrog2023-10-31 15:21

    Hold your fuel solenoid open and see if it starts. By yourself you can wire it open.

  2. #2alrman2023-10-31 15:41

    Welcome to HEF @Tonytnt Can you confirm which injector pump your machine has to recieve correct advice? Over here there are 2 options for an SL & a 3rd option for an L

  3. #3Tonytnt2023-10-31 20:14

    It is the Bosh VE pump. I purchased a fuel pressure test kit from Amazon. I should have it Saturday. I will check the pressure at the lift pump output. If it is satisfactory. I will check the pressure after the fuel filter. I replaced the lift pump about 6 years ago. So I suspect that might be the problem again. I'll start there and see where I go next. unless you guys have better advice. Thanks, TT

  4. #4Tonytnt2023-10-31 20:19

    Hi. I turned the key to ON and disconnected the power plug to the solenoid and touched the contact ON and OFF repeatedly. I could hear the solenoid operating open and close. If my lift pump pressures and filter are ok. I will remove the solenoid and test it on the bench. Thanks for the replies everyone

  5. #5rickw2023-11-01 07:54

    I had a similar issue with a Super L same era and after going thru everything and pulling my hair out I disconnected the rubber line that goes to the fuel tank and hooked up my fluid extractor up to the rubber fuel supply hose. I pulled a vac on it and a slug of rust/gunk pulled out of it. ran great with no problem after that. I did end up draining and cleaning the tank after that and added some Power Service Diesel Kleen for preventive measure. Here is the link to what i used https://www.amazon.com/SUPERFASTRACING-Extractor-Manual-Transfer-Suction/dp/B07SG4FQX2/ref=asc_df_B07SG4FQX2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343257912631&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1690411429377281789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015854&hvtargid=pla-781685089906&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71715066929&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343257912631&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1690411429377281789&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015854&hvtargid=pla-781685089906

  6. #6Dave Neubert2023-11-01 07:57

    The metering valve is probably stuck try tapping on the pump or take the top off and clean it out

  7. #7Tonytnt2023-11-04 17:33

    So I received my fuel pressure test kit today. I hooked it up to the lift pump outlet and measured only 5 psi while cranking it over with the fuel shut-off valve disconnected. Not sure what the normal lift pump pressure is supposed to be, but I expect it to be at least 20 psi or greater. I ordered a new pump and should receive it next week. Hope this is the only problem with this machine. I'll update then.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2023-11-04 23:04

    Tony, transfer pump pressure is 5 psi..at the pump inlet @ full load rpm. Dave, a VE pump doesn’t have a metering valve..

  9. #9Tonytnt2023-11-05 13:49

    I was only getting 5 psi with the engine cranking over, but not running. The pressure was measured at the pump outlet before the main filter.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2023-11-05 14:00

    That should be plenty to start.

  11. #11alrman2023-11-05 16:00

    Did you try checking if the fuel solenoid has power while cranking? Also, you haven't specifically mentioned whether you have checked the in-line fuel filter for blockage. While doing that use some compressed air to blow into the fuel line to the tank, to clear any possible obstruction at the fuel pick up. You will need to prime the system afterwards.

  12. #12Tonytnt2023-11-05 18:25

    When I had the fuel outlet connection of the lift pump disconnected, I cranked the engine and it pumped fuel like Niagara falls. With the line reconnected, I then took a pressure reading at the small 10 mm bolt at the filter outlet banjo bolt and the reading was zero psi. Once I install the new pump, and if I still don't have any pressure at the 10 mm port, I will consider replacing the filter. Ps: The pump is around 6 years old

  13. #13alrman2023-11-08 15:13

    Is the fuel clean? Is there water present? A pressure test won't tell you that. Remove the spin on filter & take a look. There should be an in-line filter between the lift pump & the tank - if it has been removed or eliminated, any trash in the tank will get caught up in the lift pump check valves - rendering it useless.

  14. #14Tonytnt2023-11-08 15:26

    I believe the fuel is clean. MY filter has a water separator on it, I opened the valve to drain any water. (I just received my new filter which I will be installing shortly. I tested for pressure at the filter output port and had 0 PSI. I will test for pressure once the new filter is installed. The old one has about 400 hrs on it. The inline filter is in place and is not blocked. I cranked the engine with the lift pump outlet connection removed and there was a lot of fuel coming out. I have a new pump coming Saturday. I will switch it out and install the new filter. Then I will bleed the lines, and at the injectors. If it still won't start, I will pull an injector and check the compression pressure. The machine ran perfectly one day and would not start the next.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2023-11-08 20:44

    I know this is a moot point but… it’s dam near impossible for the fuel was squirting out of the supply pump and u had 0 on the pressure gauge.. Keep going the way yer going, you’ll figure it out.. yer on the right track for diagnosing your problem.. Btw, did u check the voltage on the shut off solenoid.??

  16. #16Tonytnt2023-11-08 22:01

    When I connected the pressure gauge to the lift pump outlet I had 5 psi, but when I connected the gauge to the outlet port of the filter at the banjo connection, I had 0 psi. That is why I think the main fuel filter is plugged. I will replace the filter tomorrow and check again. As far as the shut-off solenoid goes, I turned the key to ON, and disconnected the wire going to the solenoid and touched it back ON and OFF, and I could hear the solenoid clicking. I assume it is ok, unless the pin itself is disconnected and is stuck in the closed position. It will be one of the things on my "to check" list. I'll get it eventually, I hope . Cheers

  17. #17Tonytnt2023-11-27 13:26

    Well, I can confirm that all the lines are blead. I have fuel going to the injectors. the lift pump is providing 5 psi at the main filter outlet. The machine will almost start with a bit of ether sprayed into the filter housing, with the filter removed, so I guess the compression is OK. Is there anything that can change the timing of the injector pump? It is still in the same place it has always been according to the mark on the housing. I'm starting to think that maybe the injectors might be plugged, but I don't think all 4 would plug at the same time. Any other ideas? Thanks, TT

  18. #18Tonytnt2023-11-27 13:33

    Another thing. I was researching the Bosch VE pump and found out that there is a cold start timing advance function built into the pump. Is it common for this to fail at some time or is it bullet proof. I live in Easter Canada and we are down to the +1 Deg C temperatures these days.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2023-11-27 17:01

    Is it the cold start device that is “bulbous” and has 2 steel lines going to it.?? They implode regularly.. Unless u know what your looking at, u won’t be able to tell if it’s broken or not.. Has the pump started leaking fuel yet.?? That’s what usually happens.. the advance piston starts beating the plate on the other side and starts leaking. I DONT SUGGEST u taking the advance cover off.. There’s a bunch of springs and shims under that cap.. Have u hung an injector outside the engine to see if it’s firing.? That would b my next move.

  20. #20thepumpguysc2023-11-27 17:03

    If your CSD imploded, the cause is a clogged fuel filter and or faulty supply pump..

  21. #21Tonytnt2023-11-27 21:48

    Hi, I haven't remove an injector yet. The weather around here is becoming nasty. It's cold and raining a lot, and I have to work outside. I don't have a garage. I have attached a breakdown pic of my Bosch Pump. Which 2 steel lines are you talking about ? Also, the pump is not leaking.

  22. #22thepumpguysc2023-11-27 22:00

    If that’s a breakdown of YOUR PUMP, it doesn’t have a CSD. If u could post an actual pic of your pump, it would be helpful. There’s a 10 digit Bosch p# on the name plate.. 0 460 *** ***

  23. #23Tonytnt2023-11-28 10:03

    Here are the pics

  24. #24Tonytnt2023-11-28 10:08

    Also do you know what the timing value is for this particular pump, when using the dial indicator ? Thanks, TT

  25. #25thepumpguysc2023-11-28 11:14

    It doesn’t have the csd.. No, I don’t have that info handy..

  26. #26Tonytnt2023-11-28 14:10

    I purchased an injector puller (slide hammer style) to pull one out when it gets here. I'll hook it up to a line and see what (if anything) comes out, and the spray pattern. Hopefully they are just gummed up and can be cleaned.

  27. #27thepumpguysc2023-11-28 14:25

    A COUPLE OF WARNINGS.. 1) DO NOT get near the spray.!!! The atomized fuel WILL penetrate your skin and you’ll spend some quality time in the hospital.!! 2) DO NOT TRY to get the injectors apart.. there are tiny alignment pins in there that WILL SNAP unless u have the special jig to hold pressure on the tip to assemble and dis-assemble the injector. Good luck

  28. #28alrman2023-11-28 14:26

    If the timing was out, & injectors are delivering fuel, there would be white smoke coming out the exhaust while cranking. If you are pulling injectors - you need to test compression, on all four cylinders. Does the engine stay at the same cranking speed all the time, or slow down after a second or two, as if under load?

  29. #29Tonytnt2023-11-28 16:44

    Hi, What type of a jig do I need for the tip? Is it something I can purchase or is it something I have to make? I also purchased a 1000 psi compression test kit. I plan to test the injector by spraying into a coke bottle. The engine turns over at the same speed while cranking. Thanks TT

  30. #30thepumpguysc2023-11-28 16:55

    Send me your email and I’ll send you a pic of the jig.. My email is: my screen name at aoldotcom