New to the forum, skid steer, and diesel world. Just picked this up for $700 not running. Has 2400 hrs. The engine is pretty clean. No leaks. Hasn’t been messed with. It’s a 4BT engine. I changed the fuel filter and primed the system. Cranks and blows black smoke and soot. Won’t start. Please help.
Wow talk about a steal. It's actually a 4B engine since it's not turbocharged. Does it blow black smoke or gray smoke? Black smoke is caused by too much fuel/not enough air. Gray smoke is usually cased by low combustion temperature and is common on startup. Black smoke usually only shows up after the engine is running. Either way smoking is a good sign. check the air filter to make sure it's not totally clogged and choking the engine. Then try cranking it some more while varying the throttle position. Make sure you have a strong battery and it's spinning over enthusiastically.
It’s blowing just black smoke. I will check the air filter tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Like I said I’m a newbie. Thanks for the quick response. I’ll post an update when I can.
Wow.. THAT IS a steal.. congrats.. Even IF you decide to scrap it, you'll get your money back.. The 4B is a very desirable engine & easily rebuilt if nec. Can you post some pics of the engine, so we can help you better? They came w/ diff. fuel systems & accessories..
Took air filter tube off to make sure air was open. Still not starting. Is there something that should have power to make it run? Like power to the distributor on a gas engine.
Yes, theres a shut-off solenoid on the back of the injection pump.. 1 elect. spade.. make sure theres power there.. Have you loosened the lines at the injectors to bleed the air out?? Do you have fuel UP TO the injection pump? Is the lift pump working?
Yes the red wire going to the top of the pump in your second picture is for the shut off solenoid. But if you're getting smoke from the exhaust you automatically know it's working. Have a helper crank it over while you spray just a little either in the intake. If it fires up and dies you know you have a fuel delivery issue of some kind.
After installing the new filter I loosened the lines and blead the system. Not sure about the other. Need a second person the check as I have to lay down and jump the starter to turn it. Key switch just beeps when I turn it. Will check power to solenoid tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Like they said, if you're getting black smoke then you know you're getting fuel. I'd take the valve covers off and see if the valves are all working when the engine turns. I can't think of anything that would make the engine smoke black but not start besides a plugged up air intake or broken camshaft. Maybe timing way off? that's pumpguy's problem though
You don't automatically know sh*t.. until you look & see.. ..break the lines loose AT the injectors & SEE if they squirts.. Go get a "remote starter button" for 12.00 at walmart.. It'll allow you to stand by the engine & turn it over while watching everything.. I would "hot-wire" the solenoid w/ 12 volts right off the battery {some are 24v}.. & use a starter button.. to diagnose. ANY auto parts store will have one..
Update. Hooked up remote start. Removed valve covers and witnessed rockers all working. Ran hot wire to fuel solenoid. Used starting fluid straight into intake. Blew out fuel return line. Put my hand over the air intake hole and almost pulled me in. I just don’t get it.
No fire on the starting fluid even? That's not a good sign. Is it spinning over briskly? I would start looking at crank to cam timing if it won't even fire on either. Do you know any history on this engine? If it's had any major repairs before?
No paint scraped off the injection pump nuts? How does the compression sound? Even speed and each cylinder slowing it down appropriately? I guess I'd bleed the injection lines at the injectors, if that doesn't work, do a compression test, and check the injectors while they're out.
Don’t know anything about it. It sat in a warehouse for a couple three years. When my friend bought it he wrenched it onto the trailer. When he got home he tried to start it but the key switch just beeped when turned to the start position. He then jumped the starter. He said I little white smoke came out of the blow by tube. He tried again and it fired up and ran for about two minutes. Then it started slowing down and died. Hasn’t started since.
In the 2nd pic. theres a banjo bolt almost behind the bracket to the right, coming out of the head. It has a bleeder screw on it.. 10mm I think. Loosen it up & crank the engine.. fuel SHOULD come squirting out.. now tighten. Loosen the lines AT the injectors & wait for the squirt.
In the first pic, is that the exhaust thats all folded up? Doesn't appear that it would be flowing very well.
Make SURE the throttle is in the wide open position when trying to start the engine..
It’s a catalytic converter for inside use. But it’s broken. It flops around. I’m gonna pull it out and weld just a pipe on it.
Looks to me like injector pump has been off, as it is a different colour yellow from the engine? As you don't know any history of machine, who knows whats gone on there...... $700 is a heck of a deal anyway, good luck!!!
Ran for a couple minutes then died blowing black smoke is something you don't see everyday. If it didn't suck in a mouse nest that's blocking the intake, then I wonder if the fuel was so gunked up from age that it plugged the injectors so they're just dribbling?