Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 CASE 1845C Hydraulics HELP

Irie808 ยท 2020-01-02 20:54

Hi everyone, new to the forums and have read some tidbits before joining you folks. I have a Case 1845c the hydraulics for the boom/curl/foot pedal all stopped working on me today. When this happened I noticed some abnormal noise right away, maybe like air in lines or a slight squeal. The sound seems to be coming from the pimp under the seat; in the middle area between the 2 linkages for the drive motors. The drive motors seem to work just fine and i notice no leaks. A couple friends came by to listen and figure I need a new pump . Seeing if there are any suggestions on where to go from here...I do live in Hawaii so some options are limited here. Thanks in advance, Ira

Replies17
  1. #1JD955SC2020-01-02 20:58

    How do they figure you need a new pump without any testing?

  2. #2Irie8082020-01-03 16:31

    Been digging for information on the pump and figuring I have a Danfoss M46 series tandem pump I think. Seems like the drive pumps run off this pump under the seat. If this pump was bad would I still be able to drive the machine fine? Trying to assess what tests i could or should do to narrow things down, suggestions? What does the small pump on the back of the machine run?

  3. #3Irie8082020-01-03 17:07

    Does the loader control valve system have any parts that would cause my symptoms

  4. #4dozr2020-01-03 17:43

    the pump for lift is back of machine under raditor pull off chank shaft ,i would think the coluping give way have had 1840 for years no problem with pumpm the one you are talking about is drive pump

  5. #5kshansen2020-01-03 19:45

    Was thinking that the pump for hydraulics ran off the end of the tandem pump on an 1845C so I checked and dozr is correct the 1845C does run off the crank by the radiator! The one I was thinking of was the 1845 or 1845B, not "C". So I would be looking at the pump drive coupler that is bolted to the crank pulley!

  6. #6Irie8082020-01-03 20:10

    Thanks for the responses as I try to understand the components and their function. So my large pump under the seat is only for the drive motors? not all the loader controls... The pump under the radiator supplies power to all the loader controls?

  7. #7alrman2020-01-03 20:55

    Correct The pump under the radiator is where you need to look - particularly where it is driven from the crankshaft pulley - the splines on the drive coupling may possibly be stripped. You may not actually see any damage to the splines, unless you remove the pump from it's mounting.

  8. #8Irie8082020-01-03 21:02

    So my thinking is to drain the hydraulics reservoir, remove the hoses from the pump and remove the pump via the 2 smaller star bolts to take a good look see at it. Wish i didnt have to drain fluids as i have replaced it recently. Maybe there is a plug i could try...? While on topic are there any recommended parts houses to use for this pump, or a rebuild kit even?

  9. #9alrman2020-01-03 21:15

    If the pump spline is damaged so will be the drive coupling. You will need to replace both with new items, as it will cost more to repair the the pump than what it is worth to purchase a complete new one. Get the CNH part numbers & use Google to find alternative suppliers. CNH ONLINE PARTS CATALOG On that note - I have purchased cheaper aftermarket drive couplings before & the splines on them do not last as long as a genuine one.

  10. #10Irie8082020-01-03 21:48

    So on the pump hss a tag with Danfoss 319603A1 Part #163D1003 When I look in the CNH Catalog i see a part # of 131694A1. I dont find a lot of info when searching for the Danfoss #'s. The part # from CNH gives better options, can i assume the old Danfoss has been superseded by the new part # from CNH?

  11. #11alrman2020-01-03 22:35

    Yes, the pump has been upgraded & part number - numerous times. You will find the Danfoss pump has a larger diameter spline with a different number of teeth to the original. The parts list show 319602A1 as the early number - more purchase options appear for this number. So, make sure you order the correct adaptor to suit! (11t or 13t)

  12. #12dozr2020-01-04 10:14

    both parts the shaft and splines are throw away any way, all they do is turn pump if it is good. i have had machine shop to cut key ways in shaft and adaptor and run till had more problem , if pulls pump and is tight ,good fix for what you were going to throw away any way. not to hard to get to to boot.

  13. #13Irie8082020-01-04 17:49

    Got the hoses blocked off and working on removing the pump, started taking off a bracket and realized it is an engine mount so i left it. With the 2 bolts holding the pump to the bracket removed i was able to pry it out about 3/8" or so. Is there something holding it on from the inside like a clip? Just keep at it I suppose..thought I'd check with you guys anyways. Does the belly pan need be removed? Or any other suggestions...

  14. #14heymccall2020-01-04 18:23

    Two bolts is all that holds it. After that, you're just fighting wear patterns in the coupler.

  15. #15Irie8082020-01-04 20:31

    Yup, kept prying and got it off! 13T So no use trying to replace the shaft on the pump and just get a new coupler? It seems to turn nicely Thanks for getting me this far!

  16. #16alrman2020-01-04 21:31

    @Irie808 Lucky you! New coupling & get back to making some dust

  17. #17Irie8082020-01-04 22:31

    Was thinking the same thing, new coupling and see how it goes even with the worn pump shaft. Save some $$ for now Maybe a couple washers to bump the pump out a fuzz for some fresher edges on the shaft