Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 Champion 740A series V

SmithAK ยท 2023-10-29 00:53

Operation of Articulation is sluggish and only responds to one side of articulation(which seems responsive). If you go in reverse you can sometimes get machine close to straight again. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Mike L2023-10-29 17:09

    Possibly a cylinder bypassing? I assume you are talking about the actual machine articulation and not the blade. Does it try to move? Any noises like a change in the engine letting you know the hydraulics are trying to work?

  2. #2SmithAK2023-10-29 18:01

    yes , I apologize, machine articulation. It really doesnt want to move I think when pulling back on lever and only moves back in 12 oclock position as i am moving in reverse again pulling on lever . (it is making a hydraulic draw when i pull on back on lever even though no movement.

  3. #3Blue-Fox2023-12-27 23:54

    Im not sure about Series 5 but my series 3 720A was doing the same, I found a broken spool / spindle in the main control valve cartridge. Hydraulic shop got me a new one for @ 65$ If the ram internal seal is bad (which could also cause you to only have one way action) you can diagnose with a laser temp gun. Get the motor warm and run the hydraulics etc and then select the articulation for a solid bit and watch the ram body temps. If its bypassing the piston it will all be warm. the whole ram body will warm up with the bypassing fluid. But I would lean towards it being a spool or solenoid.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-12-29 00:57

    I got new solenoids and the articulation was working fine on my series 2 730A but after a short time one way became intermittent and then stopped working altogether. I drove it and managed to get it straight where I could install the pins. I don't think the cylinders are the problem. The articulation valve is a pain to remove and worse to reinstall but I was thinking the problem is likely in the stem on one side that the solenoid mounts to? I'm worried parts aren't available.