I received my new to me dozer this weekend. The steering breaks work well and stop the tracks to turn. However, when using the decel/brake pedal the breaks seem really weak. A few questions- 1) Do I likley just need to just the linkage for the foot break located under the floor panel? 2) Since the steering breaks require me to pull the levers all back all the way before they activaite after a slight delay. do I likely need to adjust the entire system? 3) If the entire system needs to be adjusted is it the 1.5" lock nut with the 3/4" threaded rod with two flat spots machined in it. They are located on the back of the dozer at the 10:00 and 2:00 positon just above track heigth. If so, these still have the factory paint on them and have never been adjusted. Some threads refer to an adjustment on the final drives but I could not locate such adjustment.
Are you talking about 2 seperate pedals? I'm not sure on a Dresser dozer but I think most deceleraters are just deceleraters and not used for braking. The machine doesn't have to come to a full stop but the decelerater limits the shock load on the trans. when changing direction.
On an H model that hasn't been changed, there was only one pedal as I recall. It worked the decal and the brakes at the same time. It was a problem when the machine had a winch on the back. You couldn't hold the brake on and throttle up for the winch at the same time. I built a modification for a decal on two or three machines when they first came out. People didn't like the cost and I moved away from that dealer anyway. As I recall the linkage was not easy to get the adjustment on but that's where you need to start. The brakes are supposed to apply as the engine gets to low idle. The adjuster for the brakes is under a plug in the sides of the main frame above the final drives. You will need a book or someone who knows what they are doing to get that done correctly.
That's a different set up. Was the parking brake incorporated in the single pedal as well? Could see it being a problem with a winch.
Sorry for the delayed responce. Its been a busy week. This dozer only has one pedal. The first half is the decal and the second half is the brakes. Yes the parking break is also incorporated. Ive been looking for a manual but I've been unable to locate one.
So it's not the two adjustments bolts I show in the picture?
I don’t remember what those bolts hold onto but they don’t adjust the brakes.
It's up above the sprocket where the final drive case bolts to the frame. A large lock nut ( maybe 1.5", loosen that , then the square head bolt needs tightened a little. If there are few threads showing, then the brakes need replacing or you will wear into the metal. There is a guy on the Red Power Forum doing the brakes on a TD8-G, same set up as yours. FWD
Thanks! I'll look look at that other forum.
I know this is a old one but it saved me a lot of typing,any additional info or pictures would be appreciated as I have a TD8H with the same problem in the shop
Those threaded rod and nuts you’re looking at go from the back to the cab entrance/foot rest area and tie the pieces together. I think you can see the other end of the threaded rod if you look under the cab entrance step area.
If you look towards the front of the rear sprocket you will see the nut and threaded rod tucked in by the chassis. My dozer was out of adjustment so I adjusted the linkage under the cover where you feet sit. it fixed my problem but at some point I will need to replace the pads.
Found them, Thank You