Can anybody tell me where the brake light switch is on a 1999 International 4700 with Air Brakes I'm trying to connect a Hayes Brake Controller (electric) to it. I got everything done except the Red Wire from the Controller is suppose to connect to the Brake Switch on the truck and I cannot find any wires coming out around the air brake valve under the dash. I looked on the firewall under the hood and don't know what I'm looking for. I tried to run a wire straight to the brake wire at the rear of the truck but when I apply my brakes the brake controller light blinks as though it receiving a signal from my turn signals. Any explaination and pictures would be helpful. Thanks.
up above the brake peddle or on the fire wall under the hood
I can't find no wires around the pedal and don't know where to look on the firewall. Help would be great.
Since you've got a 1999 then I don't think you have a 12v brake signal anywhere on the truck, a 1999 might be like the new body style and you have something like 2v at the pedal (or in your case 2v somewhere on the air brake system) and two orange wires going to the back of the truck with blinkers and tails combined, there are no flasher relays or anything on the truck, the computer does everything. You need to have International program your ECM to send a ground through a certain pin on a connector on the driver side fender when you step on the brakes. Then you can run that ground to a relay in the cab and run 12 volts to it, when you step on the pedal you'll have 12 volts and send that signal to the brake controller module. At least that's the way my 2002 and 2005 are, I haven't looked at my 1998 4700 since we only use it for plowing in the winter.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will hunt somebody to wire it for me. That a whole lot of mojo for me to figure out. It seems like it shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out. I went to rhe dealer and he still has not got back to me. Thanks again for your help.
www.ufgop.org/pdf/international-4700-forum-brake-light-switch here you go
I Appreciate everybody that responded. I was able to finally figure it out what i needed to do. For information for anybody with the same problem here is what you got to do. The RED wire goes to the brake valve relay located behind the dash cover on the passenger side inside the cab. Their is 4 wires going to the relay. Splice fhe red wire from the brake controller to the red wire on the red wire from the relay. The blue wjre goes to the trailer plug on the rear of truck. Ths black wire is the hot that goes to the battery and the white is a ground. Protect the bla k/hot wjth a 20 amp rssetable fuse an the blue/ wi Th a 20 amp fuse.