Hey everyone I have a few questions about theses 2 trucks W900 and T800, something around 425/475Hp and price range 25k max. I am in the makret for a truck that will be halling a caterpiller 315BL and do other multiple jobs well end dump/ logs ect.... The truck will be for my excavating business owner operator so i will be the one maintaining it also. Looking for pros and Cons and which truck will be the better for my operation. Any other information will be helpful. Thanks Chris
the best truck i have ever owned was a 1995 ch613 mack. the 2nd best was a 1998 T800 with a 14 liter detroit 18 speed with 411 rockwell rears. when i bought it i cut the 8 back air ride off and put a 98 pete low leaf air ride cut off on it. the mack would still pull off and leave it. I used trucks with a set back front axels to get into tight places like turning in off a 2 lane through a gateway. The mack was a 350 hp and the 800 was 550.hp
I've worked on both and from what i see they are almost identical trucks except for the hoods. As far as the engines go, that all depends on what you like. I have seen them with series 60 detroit, cats, and cummins. If I was buying one, I would look for one that does not have the 8 bag suspension. I think the 4 bag ones are more dependable. Make sure you take a good look at the frame and cross members if the truck was previously on heavy haul. Alot of them tend to break behind the rear spring hanger on the front axle if they are abused. Also the metal pieces that connect the cross member to the frame tend to crack.
Thanks for the good information on the frame and bag suspension, its something i will look for when i find something im interisted in. Im going to go with a cat motor with this truck as everyhting else i have are cat. Thanks for the help
The 800's will haul , While I have always liked the looks of the big hood on the 900's the 800's are better for vision .
Have you ever had any problems with snapping bolts in the cross member under the fifth wheel on that truck? One T800 I worked on had to have new bolts put in that cross member every month. It would also break those white metal pieces between the cross member and the frame. The truck would also gross 185 000 quite a bit.
The only thing I don't like about the T800, compared to the Pete 379 we used to own, is it doesn't have a tight turning radius. Aside from that, it's a solid truck.
I bought a 2000 KW W900, dump truck, C12 engine, 13 speed. It was a quad axle dump, but it had been abused before I got it The chassis was broke and repaired on both sides, just forward of the front springs, rear support The aluminum cross member and attaching plate was broken ( the one just behind the cab) I had to replace the whole support The aluminum cross member and attaching bracket, just forward of the front tandem was broke. I had to replace all of it I did replace the parts with used parts, new parts cost about $2200 and had to come from Canada, about 2-3 weeks I sold it shortly after I fixed it, I always was afraid of a repaired chassis on the front I have owed several T800 and loved everyone of them. I have two trucks, with Cat/C12-410hp, quad axle dumps, total weight around 68,000 lbs. Engines have great power, I recommend these engines anytime
I drive a T800, 475 horse Cat, 18 speed, Eaton rears. Great visibility from the driver's seat, easy to turn around and pretty decent ride. Put a clutch in it last fall,what a pain in the ass to work on, took a whole day just to get the transmission out of the damn thing.
The T800 is the only truck that stands up to any off road work up here in the north, most popular set up is Cat 3406/c-15, 18 spd and rockwell diffs, 3.90 and 4.10 ratio with full lockers. Eaton diffs are okay but not as reliable as the rockwells. The old N-14 is a good engine also, see few problems with it, not like the newer isx with emissions on it (stay away), thats what I work on most at the dealership.
None that I know of . Company owns two of these trucks . Company has a 9 axle 150 ton trailer with the stinger and jeep that the T 800 pulls
So it sounds like the T-800 is a better truck in some aspects than the W900. cant get around **** breaking as its going to happen as its made to work and with people driving the hell out of the trucks which they are for work. It may be a diffrent story with a owner operator truck as we are the ones making the payments. sorry I am just a firm believer on maintaining my equipment. cool.... :drinkup 13spd C-12 to C-15 CAT sounds to be in my ballpark of motors. I will cheak out the entire frame as it sounds like thats a big thing on them??/? I am not looking to buy any truck that will need any major repairs. Turn Key and work. Thanks for all of the info guys, keep it commimg
I have decited to look at some T800s. Seems to be the better truck for more off road use and also sharper turning for tight spots, any pictures of a T800 with a lowboy or end dump set up would be nice to see. thanks
How about a beaver tail.
...
Image tool isn't working so here's some links to a couple of me working a T800. http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/IBI trucks/IMG_0189.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/IBI trucks/Photo000.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/IBI trucks/IMG_0051.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/2011 Milling/Picture036-1.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/2011 Milling/Picture005.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/2011 Milling/Picture008.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/2011 Milling/IMG_0469-1.jpg http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/2012/001-1.jpg
Is that milling machine really that heavy to need a 6 axle trailer? I have moved several around here and normally use just a tri axle truck and a tri axle trailer. As for my preference of W900 or T800 I have driven them both and they are the same. The T800 is allot better for visibility while the W900 just looks cool.
It's a W2200 with 8ft head 98,000 lbs. Used jeep to get easier permits. Blue trailer 24ft well 9ft wide was maxed at 20k per axle (32-J in Monanta 3 days to get a permit), maroon trailer 25.6 ft well 8.5ft wide made Montana DW-21 conditions (annual permit via Helena), just barely.
i drove an T800 for six years, C12 with eaton fuller ten speed and kenworth 8 bag susp. was a good truck but gutless pig. just moved into a 2012 W900L with 550 cummins, 18 speed eaton fuller and hendricks 4 bag susp. big difference in power and deffinantly like the four bag over the eight bag. as far as getting around and tight places no big deal took a couple of days to get used to that long nose but would never go back.
i never understood the love affair with the KW 8 bag suspension. its pretty much the last suspension i would ever order on a truck
I drove a KW log truck one winter, with the 8 bag setup, didn't care for it. The best ride/traction setup I ever had was a Hendricson extended leaf/walking beam with a spring log trailer behind it. Two of our trucks have Chalmers rear suspension, it's amazing how well they get around in the snow.
I still haven't figured out what difference there is other than the hood...... I just bought a w9 yesterday so I guess someday I'll see what difference there is over my t8. Pj
I had the Hendrickson primaax on my t-800 even with the 195" WB and 22K front axle it rode better than any 8 bag or Pete air leaf i ever piloted. did great in the soft stuff and was STABLE with a top heavy load.
The bumper to back of cab is different also the front axle set back is way different. You can get a set forward and set backward front axle on the T8 where the W-9 comes in short hood and the long hood L model.
Personally I would stay away from the C-12 if it has a 9 or 10 spd tranny behind it. It's under-powered in the upper gears if you are hauling heavy or uphill.
W-900
Buzzin Dozen thats a nise set up and very clean! Thanks guys for the comments of the trucks and pros and cons of motors,trans. Ive still been looking around taking my time looking for the right price and truck. Im in no hurry to jump into something that i will regret buying later on down the road. I have found a 1994 T-600 with a 425 cat 10spd jake and wet kit with only 175'000 miles second owner operator with a1987 35ton trail king trailer that just needs 2 new tires and a few new boards for $22'000. everything is in good shape and eveything works on the truck. whats everyone think of this truck and trailer set up? thanks
PNECAT, be sure that truck doesn't have a 3176? engine in it!!! be sure it is a 3406! other than that the trailer is worth more truck , great price for the pair. this truck is built a step lighter than eithier the t-800 or w-900. i think this will could serve you well and used parts are very easy to come by.......................theironoracle
theironoracle, im not sure what motor it has in it but will find out, i figured for the price and the miles and shape of the truck its hard to beat for the price for both. I also am looking into a 1991 borco 35 ton lowboy for 10k and a 1999 t-800 3406 425 cat 13 speed 8 bag air ride, very clean also but it has 850'000 miles on it for 19k, is that too many miles for the price with the truck being said to be an 8 out of a 10 by the seller. question, is it worth spending another 8 to 10k to get the T-800 as it is a bigger truck and could handle bigger loads and may be better off road for excavating, possably logs and some flat bed halls also. Thanks
It could have a 3406, mine does. We have a t-600 kw with a 425 hp 3406, 13sp, 8 bag airride with a sliding fifth. As a first lowboy truck for use it works well. Good power just wish the air bags would lift higher. Also being a single fram when you put a heavy load on it the hole truck realy twist.
Do you have any pictures of your set up? That was my only worry was the frame being strong enough to hall some heavy loads. Im sure it will work fine for halling a 315bl and a 28ft gravel end dump etc... Good starter truck
buckfever, you can adjust the rod length on the leveler to get more hieght out of those airbags! i always set my dad's trucks by putting a straight edge across the frame rails above the last axle and adjusted the rod until the tires were flush with the top of the frame rails. all his trucks had 11-24.5 tires so if your running shorter ones you can get actually have the frame rails above the tires an inch or so. this is out of spec with the book but never caused driveline, handling or suspension problems. if you don't have enough holes in the diff housing for more adjustment replace the rod with a chunk of 1/4 inch all thread and a clevis end on each end from any hardware store or autoparts store makes adjusting easy.............theironoracle
I've heard of adjusting the leverler valve to raise the truck but was scared of doing damage to the bags. Just seeing them strech when you take the load off real quick still aired up just seems not right. I'll get some pictures tomarrow. then try to master putting them on here.
make sure your shocks and bushings are good that is what keeps them from traveling to far....................don't be afraid, you will only blow out bad bags.................theironoracle
This looks very gorgeous! I think this truck is using for hauling based on the trailer that's attached to it. I would really like to have this kind of beautiful truck.
I would be careful adjusting the bags outside the manufactuer spec's. Not only can you damage the air bag, but I had seen from the angle of the driveline change enough, that it took out the back cover syncro's of the transmission. Bag height is found by subtracting the loaded tire radius from the frame to ground height. There are height gauge tools that can be purchased or you can just measure the bag (top to bottom) and adjust the lever rod until the manufactuered recommended height is acheived. Just my 2cents.
With the KW 8-bag, you're not going to change the driveline angle any appreciable amount between the 2 diffs. The 2 diffs are going almost straight up and down thanks to the 4-link suspension. The angle that will change slightly is between the front diff and the hanger bearing. Depending on the wheelbase of the truck though, this would be a pretty small amount. I've owned a few KW's. W900's. T800's. The only major difference is the hood and position of the front axle. I prefer a T800 simply because the sloped hood gives better forward visibility and a wee bit better fuel economy. The set-back front axle means that you can get the same overall length of truck (bumper->bumper) with a shorter wheelbase, thus shorter turning radius. All have had the 8-bag suspension. Current W900 actually has seperate left and right leveling systems - seperate leveling valves, seperate gauges, etc. Andrew
I agree with the AG400 8 bag on not changing the driveline angle,but you can blow the bag by over inflating them. However on the AG380 (4 bag) it will change the driveline angle. The AG380 rides a lot better than the 8 bag in my opinion. The AG380's are a less stiffer ride. The old AG 200 were bad about beating you to "death".
Yes, a 4 bag will change the driveline angle. It's not a 4-link style suspension like the 8-bag. Yes, you need to be careful to set the 8-bag suspension ride height. It doesn't have as much travel as the 4-bag since the bags are shorter. Less travel means they can over-inflate and may blow the bag. Not sure I agree about the ride on a 4-bag vs 8-bag. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference between them. Maybe it's the rough Canadian roads though??? Andrew
very nice truck does it have a buzzin dozen in it
My new Kenworth T800 with a 13spd Detroit 60 series 460HP. I'm very happy with the truck. I purchased a 50 ton fruehaulf lowboy that needs a little work but for the price and as much hauling I will be doing it will work great.