The flashers and turn signals quit at once. I thought this maybe a grounding issue but I don't have a wiring diagram or know where to look. Anyone have a diagram or suggestions on this? I understand there is a "flasher" module/relay by the fuse board. Since the turn signals/flasher quit at the same time, maybe this is the reason. Looking for ideas before I start buying parts to try to fix the problem. Thanks Kenny
I would check the fuse first. The fuse box should be to the left of the steering column. There should also be two flashers there, one for turn and one for 4 ways
AllDodge I checked the fuse and swapped out with other fuses. Still no signals. I think I found the flashers. One is round and there is another that is square on the right side of fuse box and back some. I guess they could be checked for power to/from.
Yes do check for 12V. I would get a multimeter and check the fuse using the ohm scale. If the fuse was blown then swapping with another fuse may just blow that one. If fuse is not blown and you have 12V then check to see if the power is making it to the flasher. After that you may need to pull the steering wheel to get at the signal mechanism. I've had mine apart a few times, the contacts get corroded
Fuses can be sly and sneaky, pass visual test and still be open. It pays to check with ohmmeter.
I did ohm the fuse and it checked. These fuses have a breaker made in them. First time I have had this type.
The flasher was the problem. Thanks for the help.
If the flasher keeps blowing, I think there is a heavy duty one that may be the cure. That looks like a standard car flasher, 2 spades sticking out the back, at right angles?
DIYDAVE That is correct. The one I replaced it with was a long life flasher. Looks the same. I saw the heavy duty flashers but I am tight with money and didn't want to pay the extra $6. But if this one blows I will get the heavy duty one. The heavy duty one had two blades sticking out at right angles also.
Generally I keep the HD unit in use and a spare in the jockey box of my 2554. If my pre-trip shows a blow unit and I'm heading to a job, a quick R&R is a much nicer way to start the day than a side trip to the parts store. The portable scale guys are ever present here anymore, and if I can show a pre-trip checklist and have a spare part to install in case of during the day failure, they'll often be more charitable. They are not amused by lack of turn signals, especially if I'm pulling my trailer.
Good idea. I may pick up the HD flasher to keep. This last one came in truck and I have had it a year so I don't know how old it was. This is what I replaced the old one with. Sorry pic is sideways. Sent from iPad and I don't know how to fix it.