Good afternoon, hope you guys have some info. I recently "inherited" a John Deere 80 excavator with the knuckle boom type , side shift dipper. It seems to run OK, slight blowby and almost 6000 hours, hydraulics are operable but I really haven't had an opportunity to put it to work at all. I looked thru the forums but didn't note any posts pertaining to this machine. Is it not a popular machine or had a lot of problems? I have no books so don't know what to expect performance wise or problem wise at these hours. Were these manufactured by Hitachi or Mitsubuishi for JD and if so are the parts interchangeable with a similar models? Don't have a JD dealer nearby so don't have a relationship. Dealt mostly with Bobcat and Komatsu in the past. Any info or help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Jimmy :beatsme
I could be way off base, but I did work for a Deere dealer back in those days and some of the little guys were made by Yanmar IF I didn't kill those brain cells with beer in my wasted youth. Of course all the bigger excavators with the exception of the 690E (again, don't trust my memory) to the best of my knowledge were and are built by Hitachi.
99 JD 80 Excavator You may be right, the engine tag says: "John Deere Company, Engine Model 4TNE98-JCI, Serial #xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Manufactured by Yanmar Diesel Engine Co. Ltd, Osaka, Japan". That side shift knuckle looks a lot like the old Komatsu "Utility UU Models". I don't know a lot about the older mini and midis so I'm trying to figure out about this ones origin and how to get books and parts for it. Hoping it's gonna be able to do a decent days work when I need it as this here is 16-18000 lb class machine, 18" grousers. I appreciate your input and your welcome to go ahead and disable a couple more of those brain cells today in honor of our Veterans and those that didn't make it home, preparing to go do that myself. Thanks. Jimmy :drinkup :usa
Ooops posted wrongly, sorry. Jimmy
bump