Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 John Deere 555G wide track loader, value?

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2019-08-20 21:00

Hi All, I am usually posting and/or asking questions in the skid steer forum, but I am now looking at the machine mentioned above and trying to find some way to figure what it is worth. If I could add some more info about this loader, I have known this loader since it was bought new so I know the history of it. It belonged to one of my family members who used it his small grading business. It has been reasonably maintained though not going back to the dealer every few months to get torn a new one for service, but also not allowing a needed repair to go unaddressed. My family member operated this himself or one other guy that worked for him so it has not been abused by lazy operators that couldn't care less about the condition of the machine. My family member who owned it has recently passed and I am now considering purchasing it from his wife who is also considered my family member and lifelong friend. She and I both want to be reasonable about the purchase price but neither one of us know how to find the value of this loader. I'm sure there has to be something in the heavy equipment line that is equivalent to the Blue Book for vehicles but I have no idea of what it would be called or how to start searching it or a website of that kind. I know that one of the most determining factors will be the amount of hours on the loader, I do not have that info tonight but I hope to have it tomorrow. Any guidance you could offer would be very helpful. In the event that I do not purchase this loader I would still like to help her determine the value of it just so she does not get taken advantage of by someone looking to steal it from her. Thanks, B-Crazy

Replies2
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-08-20 22:10

    Hours is usually not a big part of the equation unless they are really low or really high. The hour meter is the last thing to trust. It's a crawler so number one is the condition of the undercarriage. If it's shot could cost over 10K to replace. Then I'd say the transmission and steering next, then the engine. If it's an LGP loader would be more desirable for working in softer ground but wear the undercarriage faster on hard ground. Need some pics. and more info to give an idea of value. Also might ask if a JD dealer could give an estimate of value for the estate. Just a wild guess but if in reasonably good shape with decent undercarriage I'd say in the 20-30K range depending.

  2. #2DMiller2019-08-30 09:11

    These machines around here are routinely advertised in the $15-25K range dependent of Track group wear, engine hours and other small ails or accessories installed as 4/1 or ripper or hoe attachments. Have not seen many 555s with LGP UC around here as we are in hard pan soils, mostly dozers of the 550 class run those. The largest sellers average around $20K with decent condition machines.