Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 Pete 330 w/ eaton 8

justingiffi ยท 2015-01-05 11:24

Hey guys, I have a 1999 Pete 330 with the eaton 8 speed and a cat 300hp. It's a single axle with a 20k drop axle and I was looking for some recommendations when it comes to shifting. The quarry I go to has an exit onto a main rd that starts you out on a pretty steep grade and when I'm loaded I have a hard time getting from low to 1st. I just can't seem to build enough momentum / can't get it into 1st fast enough to the pt where the truck comes to a stop. I probably have about 200 yards before I hit the crest of the hill. Any suggestions/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Justin

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042015-01-05 20:46

    Sometimes on a steep slope or soft enough ground, you just can't upshift. Have you tried with and without the clutch?

  2. #2justingiffi2015-01-05 20:59

    I haven't tried without the clutch yet. If there is no traffic coming and I can stay in first then I can shift on the hill but unfortunately he has a tree line along the side of the rd and it makes it tough to see if cars are coming or not. This was the first summer with this truck and I finished a vocation training class that was offered but when I was driving with the instructor in the semi he said if it doesn't go just force it and well I don't believe that's right so just wanted to check to see if there were any other techniques or options. I only drive it weekends and for some side work here and there but I'll try without the clutch next time.

  3. #390plow2015-01-05 21:46

    Does it have a jake brake? If so leave it on should help bring the rpms down faster for you.

  4. #4justingiffi2015-01-05 21:57

    Unfortunately it doesn't have a jake

  5. #5Tags2015-01-06 20:01

    Maybe when the tranny grenades from that you can find him and "just force" the ruined tranny parts where the sun don't shine. You obviously are correct not thinking that's right. Patience is the key and getting the rpms right to make the shift, Mitch hit right on the head, sometimes you just can't. I had the same motor in a 99' Freghtliner FL80 tandem, it was a complete dog in that truck, probably much better suited to the 6 wheeler, but I had the same issue....

  6. #6Canadian_digger2015-01-06 20:13

    Can you start in first instead of low? Sometimes I find the shift from low to first hard when you loose momentum and find shifting from first to second easier.

  7. #7justingiffi2015-01-06 20:37

    That engine is def a dog in that truck, especially when loaded! Canadian, if I can roll into the road in 1st(bc no traffic is coming) then I can go through the gears no problem. However, if traffic is coming and I have to stop then I end up stalling it trying to pull out because the road going out of the quarry is at a slight grade. Even on a level road I find that I'm way better off starting in low when loaded. I've tried shifting with a low rpm in low, shifting with a higher tom to try to build some monentum but haven't found the sweet spot. Thanks for all the help and suggestions they are always appreciated. Justin

  8. #8Deere500a2015-01-06 21:51

    To catch the next gear you may have to push 2000+rpm to stay in the sweet spot of the next hole. How low can the rpms drop before you are lugging 1000/1100? Does the shifter have a blue button?

  9. #9Shimmy12015-01-06 23:44

    You should be able to just barely get it rolling in low, and just slip right up into first. I have never had a truck that you couldn't get out of low on hard ground, slope be damned. Soft ground, yes, but not hard ground. I don't believe you are going to get anywhere running it to the governor. You get in rolling in low, say 1000-1100, it should just fall into 1st. Down at the bottom of the rpm range, the shift should be so close the gears should almost feel the same. By the way, how many pounds are you pulling? I pulled a pup for many years with tandem dump with a L10 and 8 sp. Was always 90,000 plus.

  10. #10Dualie2015-01-07 00:57

    sometimes you just have to realize you get paid by the hour also. Let the truck do the work and dont go shock loading the driveline 15 times a day to save 3 min

  11. #11justingiffi2015-01-07 11:09

    Thanks shimmy1, I'll try what you recommended and see if it makes it any easier to get into gear. I'm hauling about 8yards of crush and run in the bed so I'm probably about 37,000lbs which should be nothing for that truck and it feels fine behind me (brakes and handles really well). Still a dog but I'm going to go through the truck this winter and add a boost gauge because it doesn't seem like the turbo is spooling under load. Not sure what the psi is without the gauge. I own the truck and I'm the only one that operates it so I'm not in a rush. Plus, I've just been hauling stone for my property and my buddy's. I'm not looking to damage the tranny or anything if I need to leave it in low I will just kind of feels a little dangerous because it's a blind hill and people get impatient and if they try to pass me (double solid yellow) and a car comes over the hill forget about it(55mph zone).