Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 western star plow truck help

cwk266 ยท 2016-12-14 04:48

I picked up a ex road maintenance plow truck with weldco beales mounts and hydraulics.I have mounted a front plow on it and the up /down works fine and the angle right works fine but nothing on the angle left not even the sound of the pump loading up.There is controls for under body plow and some other hydraulic things none of which are mounted but if I press the control I can hear the pump which is mounted in front directly to the crank.I swapped out the rocker switch for angle left with known good one nothing changed.I swapped out the magnetic coil on the valve body for the angle left with a known good one nothing changed.Does the pump have a electric clutch that engages when a function is pressed or is the pump audible because when pressing a function it opens a valve allowing hydraulic to the pump.Excuse me for being long winded tried to be as condensed as possible with my failed troubleshoot.Can anyone give me a bit of a plow problem education?

Replies13
  1. #1grandpa2016-12-14 07:11

    The first thing I would check is where you switched out the coil on the valve body. When those trucks sit for a period the hydraulic spool that that coil moves can tend to stick sometimes. Im not familiar with weldco beales, but they all work pretty much the same.

  2. #2cwk2662016-12-14 14:07

    Thanks for your input I will give that a try.The pump being audible on all other functions is that because it is being engaged when pressing the function or is it always pumping and becomes audible when pressing the function which opens the valve supplying the pump?First time around tinkering with something like this so knowledge is zero.Thanks

  3. #3grandpa2016-12-14 20:32

    Its always spinning when the engine is running but only pumps on demand.

  4. #4cwk2662016-12-15 04:07

    Thanks for the input.Tinkered with it the better part of the day then success.Combination of hydraulic lines mark wrong and lines going to the wrong ports on the valve body and 1 failed magnetic coil and 1 failed valve both in different ports.The Mrs thought I finally lost my last few marbles jumping around whooping and hollering.Had a fairly good dump of snow over the last few days looking forward to trying it out in the morning.The truck has a anti idle feature which I would like loose if its a fairly simple procedure.Its a 1999 Western Star with a Cummins anyone familiar with this setup,it only idles for about 3-5 minutes then cuts out but leaves all electrical on seems like it was designed to kill batteries

  5. #5hetkind2016-12-15 07:15

    I believe the anti-idleing feature is a BUG..., I would start looking at fuel system issues, like a vacuum leak on the intake side. Does that motor use a lift pump prior to the injection pump? My experience with Cummins is limited. Howard

  6. #6cwk2662016-12-16 02:59

    It is not a mechanical problem I assumed it was as well the first couple of times it did it.It is a timed shutoff if the truck remains at an idle.I can live with it no problem thought I would mention it in case someone knew a quick fix.Thanks nice forum going on here post a question and get a quick reply

  7. #7Junkyard2016-12-16 08:09

    You'll have to take it to somebody and have them hook the computer up to disable the shutdown. It's designed to limit idle time. I had a rollback setup that way. It wasn't that short though, it was more like 10 minutes. Just a simple click of a mouse on the correct parameter box. I don't know of a way to fool it other than maybe a clutch switch or something you could permanently close the circuit on to make the ecm think you're sitting there with the clutch pressed. Somebody else may know of a trick. What motor and trans is in it? Junkyard

  8. #8cwk2662016-12-16 17:02

    Thanks for the reply for the amount of hours I will be putting on the truck I can live with it better than I can live with bill that would come from taking it in to a shop

  9. #9grandpa2016-12-16 18:52

    Im glad you got it! Things like that can be worth a whoop and a holler!!! A used piece of equipment that someone else has worked on can be an interesting journey in it self...

  10. #10Jonas3022016-12-16 21:35

    Some trucks you can idle up with the cruise and disable the shut down feature

  11. #11Wytruckwrench2016-12-16 23:56

    Try turning the cruise on and idle it up to1000 to 1100 RPM with the set resume switch and see if it stays running. The idea is that it doesn't sit idling and polish the cylinder walls. Depends on what the parameters are in the ECM.

  12. #12cwk2662016-12-17 21:40

    Gave the suggestion a try setting the cruise to 1100 same thing shut itself off went to try it again at 1500 truck started up and it surges and backs off several times and then dies without touching the throttle.Going to wait till this cold weather snap is over to try it again hopefully this new problem is frozen fuel or something.Wait and see

  13. #13cwk2662016-12-19 19:32

    The water separator for the fuel was frozen running fine now again and I am going to call it quits on fixing stuff that is not broke because I have to much stuff that is broke and needs fixing.Thanks for all the replies