I've got a couple tractors with front end loaders and a mini excavator and would like to be able to rebuild my own hydraulic cylinders when needed and find a good source for parts that won't break the bank like I imagine I'll pay for them at the dealership. Anyone know of an on-line supplier that would carry most anything needed for cylinders found on various brands of equipment? Both my tractors and excavator are Kubota. Currently I have a "Long" brand 4 in 1 bucket that needs it's cylinders rebuilt and one of those needs a new rod as the chrome has a few chips in it. Maybe the dealership is the best route to go but I was hoping to find another avenue to check that may save some cash. I'd currently like to rebuild 6 cylinders along with a hydraulic fluid and filter change on one of my tractors. All my equipment is just personal equipment that I play around on using to clean up my property so it isn't being put to work making money so saving on repair cost is more priority than down time in my particular case. I know a contractor would have the opposite priorities and rebuilding cylinders is probably an insignificant cost to someone in that position's operation.
I use EPSstore for my hydro kits.. They aren't the cheapest but their website & info is GREAT..
Hercules is another seal place. The rod might be usable for a homeowner by sanding the edges of the chips smooth so they don't tear the seals, depends? Otherwise the cheapest alternative for me has been having a machinist cut the eye off the cylinder, and weld it to a new machined rod. Tell them it's for a four in one bucket and needs hardened rod. If that's the same Long as the tractor brand, then I'm guessing you're not going to find any dealer help. No problem, take them apart and match them up. If you're not in a rush, it's easier for me to take everything apart, take the glands into a hydraulic shop and they'll match them up MUCH quicker than I can order them. The piston seals are usually fine, but that's your call. If the piston ISN'T fine, then take a good look at the inside barrel of the cylinder for wear, hone it out if needed.
I don't know how it is for Kubota but for my Deere seal kits were really reasonable from the dealer For some equipment and attachments I've seen them have generic cylinders...some can be taken apart some not and sometimes you can easily find a cylinder that matches or is close enough for cheap at Northern Tool or Surplus Center...I replaced a steering cylinder for a man lift a couple months ago with an off the shelf replacement from Northern. Had to cut off one of the mounts on the machine and move it but for $40 and a little torch and welding work couldn't beat it For small tractors I'd think machining and custom work would be cost prohibitive compared to adapting if possible an off the shelf solution
Any competent hydraulic shop should be able to help you out. We have a couple around here that stock thousands of seals and rebuild about anything.
Great info....Thanks guys! Will be wanting to rebuild my cylinders on my 1845C next year probably.
On the 1845c I would look into LoaderPartsSource.com
Usually i've found OEM seal kits are leaps and bounds better than after market. That being said there are a few places around raleigh to get aftermarket parts. I'll be back home in the triangle for the next month, if you want a hand or need advice, give me a shout (919)616-2257