Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have been lurking and reading for a while. I am a shop tech for a local Komatsu dealer here in Tennessee. Spent the last ten years in the automotive field before switching to the heavy equipment field. Been with my present employer now for two months. Will have my 90 days in September and will be moving into a service truck. Can't wait to get out in the field. Love working on equipment so much more than Mercedes. So glad I made the change.
Welcome to the Forum Chief! I'm guessing you're probably about 25?
Close. 30.
Welcome to HEF. Depending on what end of TN you're in I might run across ya one day. :drinkup
Thanks! I'm in kingsport. We run from boone NC to Knoxville to Princeton wv and all in between. Where you at?
Yep, I know which company you're with and where your branch is. Just look at my profile on the left and you'll see where I'm from.
Oh I see now. We may just cross paths indeed. How long you been in the business Willie?
Well, that's hard to say, shortly after I tossed my last diaper maybe? I guess if I had to put a date on it I'd have to say I hired on to be a wrench bender full time in 1986, been doing it since.
he was around when they made the first track :lma :lmao sorry willie granpa made me say it...
You keep listening to that old sawed off scissorbill and you'll be bat **** crazy!
Lol. Can't you just feel the love Willie.
Not sure how long Willie has been around but when I started the wiring diagram for a loader would easily fit on a 3 by 5 card and still be easy to read! Now you need to have two 4 by 8 sheets of plywood to begin to unfold the diagrams! And that doesn't count all the stuff that is inside those magic boxes the wires are connected to!
Im in same boat cheif. I was a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the army for 12 years worked in the trucks and trailers for a short time been doing this for only just under two years
What do you think so far James? I prefer heavy equipment over automotive 10 to 1. I really wish o would have started in this field.
It hss its ups and downs. I thought I got dirty as a diesel mechanic. Yeah now not so much didn't realize how clean that job was. Where I work im really the only full-time mechanic so a lot of stuff I have to figure out on my own. It makes for some long days ive been known to get to work at 7am and not leave till 7-8pm without a lunch. So yeah I like ok just depends on the day
Yeah being the only one isn't nessaceraly a good thing at times.
No it is not
IMHO, there's only one way to work on cars...pour diesel fuel on them and set them on fire, buy another one.
im going to give a little advise here, "it will still be there after lunch, if its not someone else fixed it & you are not hungry!" yes I like to eat!! LOL I get grumpy if I don't eat something (even if it just crackers)
Ah, Product Support - 26 hours a day - 9 days a week .......been there done that.
Actually enjoyed my job more back in the days that were close to that. Felt like getting something fixed and back on the line was important to someone. The last several years the feeling was more that you were just costing the company money and if you stayed even an hour late one day to finish a repair so machine would be ready fist thing in the morning you were expected to leave an hour early the next day to avoid having the company pay you any OT!
Keep us posted on how its going after you get in the field lilbluewarchief. You have been given some great advice on this post by some top notch craftsmen. It is advice that is pertinent and would be valuable in any line of work.
Yeah it would be their after lunch. Ive was outta work so long I figured I need to do wantever it takes to keep the powers that be happy. They aren't happt with a tractor down and operate on the clock not running his machine
I certainly will! Some great advice indeed!!