Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Field service guys.

lilbluewarchief · 2015-08-29 19:45

Give your best advice for an up and coming field service tech. I will be out in a truck in a few weeks and really would like some tips/advice from some seasoned techs.

Replies122
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-29 22:42

    Always keep a stash of stuff to eat in one compartment along with a case of bottled water, some jobs turn into marathons and always happen where there's no stores or places to eat. Electric cooler is good, if you have a welder/generator a mini microwave is priceless. Probably not the kind of advice you're looking for, but my attitude goes South real quick when a four hour job turns into twenty and my stomach thinks my throat's been cut. Change of clothes doesn't hurt either. I have taken oil baths that soaked me to the skin even wearing coveralls. Diesel is the worst. If you're working jobs where there's nobody around (I did constantly when I was in the field) develop a habit of thinking to yourself before every procedure "Now if I do this, what could possibly go wrong and could I be injured or trapped in some way?" We've all heard the stories of techs loosening hoses and ending up crushed or suffocated by whatever came down. Same goes for driving pins out, removing belly pan bolts, blocking machines up, you get the idea. Safety is always top priority, but in the field even more so and it's more challenging. Good idea to keep a sidearm handy in the truck, YMMV, but you just never know when some form of two or four legged animal might need talking to in a loud voice. Some may find that distasteful, but like a fire extinguisher I'd rather have it handy and never need it than desperately need one and not have it. Oh yeah: CHECK YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHERS AND FIRST AID KITS at the start of every day. The one time I really needed an extinguisher somebody had used mine and politely put it back in it's holder, empty. Wasn't much use to me. Keep your sense of humor, you will undoubtedly be dealing with all manner of people out there in all kinds of moods, be professional, polite, a calming influence, and the kind of driver that assumes he has to keep everybody else around him safe because they're not smart enough to do it for themselves. Lastly, have fun! It's a completely different world from working in a shop.

  2. #2willie592015-08-30 00:05

    For sure good advice. In the field, you are a representative of your company. But at the same time, you represent (or are building) your personal reputation, something that rarely happens when you're a shop tech.

  3. #3wornout wrench2015-08-30 01:18

    Absolutely I can think of no better compliment than when a customer calls and asks to have YOU sent to the job, not that other guy, but YOU Lantraxco has some very good advise. I'll add a couple more. If you wear glasses or contacts, have some spares on the truck. I went out one time and was wearing my prescription sunglasses. Never even thought twice until it turned into one of those jobs where the sun was going down on the trip home. I need my glasses to drive. The sunglasses just didn't do it at night. DO NOT BS the customer! I have had to deal with that a few times, following another tech from a different company. The line of BS he peddled was amazing. Plugging his computer into machines that have no computers to plug into. Things like this. Crazy He didn't last long. Once word got out, he was history in this town. But most important of all, enjoy it. Your pretty well your own boss. I loved field service.

  4. #4donkey doctor2015-08-30 01:47

    Be careful what you say to the customer. I mentioned in passing on one job that I was not long back at work from a back injury. Customer tried to weasle out of paying the full bill because "I wasn't up to the job". Fortunatly his woods foreman was in our shop about that time picking up parts and my service manager talked to him. He said they didn't need my back they had lots of rigging rats to do the lifting but did need my experience from having done the same job more than a few times so knowing all the little tricks and having all my own special tools that I had made for that particular job. No discount. d.d.

  5. #5lilbluewarchief2015-08-30 07:29

    Thanks for the advice everyone! That's some real good info. The safety concern is my biggest fear. Things can go wrong in a heart beat in this line of work. I have already seen that prove itself to be true.

  6. #6kshansen2015-08-30 09:45

    Everyone has given you great advice. The ones I would second big time are the ones about being honest with customers and all the safety related ones. In this day having a fully charged cell phone is also a good idea. Not just for contact back to shop for advice but if something bad happens it could be a life saver. Where I worked in the last few years I was located at the shop but due to cuts in man power at the quarry I was pretty much working single handed all the time. One tool that I found to be a major help was a small lever operated chain jack like this one: http://www.grainger.com/product/CM-Lever-Chain-Hoist-550-lb-Load-38UY91?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/38UY90_AS01?$smthumb$ And a couple small nylon straps. Could do everything from hold up a pump or starter in a tight location or help bend that stiff hydraulic that had the natural bend going the wrong way. Even used it a time or two to pull on a wrench to break loose that stubborn bolt in the awkward location where you just could not do it with one hand. Another time was the spring loaded idler for the fan on a WA600, that would be easy if engine was on the floor but to change the belt in the loader there is just no room for a second person and that little ratchet jack will hold the idler for as long as needed to fish that serpentine belt into place. Just one more time like everyone has said. Work safe, and think before you remove that last bolt!

  7. #7chris_james2015-08-30 10:02

    Always pack a lunch. Im bad about ah ill be at the shop today I dont need a lunch I just grap something. Take everything you think you might need for the job then take a lot more. The yellow stuff is heavy if you have a crane use it. With enough straps clovis or washers welded on to blots you can pick up just about everything with a crane if you cant use a come-long. If you can't figuresomething out step back take a breath before getting back at it. You can use prybar for a whole host of things, can be used to pry on a wrech to break a bolt loses if a rachet or pullhadle want fit. Lastly if you look at old cat service manual it says never take the word of an operator.

  8. #8lilbluewarchief2015-08-30 12:13

    Thanks for all the tips guys. I have ran into several of these senerios already. I went out on a service that shouldn't have taken anytime. 7 hours later we were leaving after replacing a thumb and seat. And starving I might add. Lunch is a necessity for this ole boy.

  9. #9tctractors2015-08-30 13:39

    I always pack a Flask and something to eat even if it is local as things change fast, in the U.S.A. you lads have all the toys hanging off the service trucks, I run a bit more basic with just a few spanners, a few bars, a few fancy chains that I cooked up to my need, a few endless slings, and always a chain lever hoist, I have 5 of them in different tonnage but a 3/4 ton unit is very handy to always have in the truck, don't forget that most drivers lie on any day ending with a Y so keep your own mind on things, don't keep phoning the yard at the smallest drama, working on site's puts you in control so always strive to be in control, the best tip is always be top rate and polite to the parts people at the Dealers as they will always respond to your need for help in the best way, they often suffer with low wage and a crap Boss so being happy with them is the least you can do. tctractors

  10. #10lantraxco2015-08-30 14:59

    Good points TC, especially about the parts people. I have worked that seat myself and about the only reward parts people get is when a customer or mechanic is friendly and maybe remembers to show appreciation for "getting it right". They always hear about it if there's a mistake, and most times complaints they can do nothing about, price, stock, obsolete, etc.

  11. #11chris_james2015-08-30 17:25

    Few more ideas cardboard it will be your friend. Tarps and bungeecords incase of rain plastic bags and ducktap to cover a hole where a pump or turbocharger use to be incase of rain. You can never have to many hydraulic line caps never to many.

  12. #12FSERVICE2015-08-30 22:55

    all good things so far!! always treat the customer good, they will remember you & ask for you again!! #2 always have a cooler full of water many uses but if you get something in your eye itll be the best thing in miles!! #3 complete change of clothing including rubber boots #4 I know everyone has a cell phone nowdays but a CB radio when you are out in BFE is nice.. #5 the personal protection device (handgun) hopefully you never need it BUT its there if you do!! #6 camera (you never know what you might see) great for documenting damage, before repairs or after repairs (pics for HEF) #7cardboard (Kentucky creeper) is a great thing to keep on the truck. #8flashlights headlamps (many as you can) #9 extra battery for all your stuff!! ( cause they will fail at the most inopertune time) #10keep your service truck clean & neat!! its very hard to do BUT DO IT!! LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!! ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU ONLY GET 1 CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION!!!

  13. #13clintm2015-08-30 23:04

    some good things to have on hand wooden block's,colored zip ties or 6"-12" of old phone cable for marking line's/hoses,oil drain pans, large umbrella(it's a good time of year to catch the on sale)or small tarp for mobile shade tree small parts container's,motorcycle straps, as always good duct tape

  14. #14JPV2015-08-30 23:48

    A couple things I like to keep on the truck, Cat sells a kit of plastic caps in an organizer that will plug holes from tiny up to 1 inch or so, they won't hold pressure but sure are nice for keeping things clean, it is about 50 bucks which is a great value, also when you replace a hose keep the caps that come on it, you build a collection pretty quick, anytime you order o rings get a few extra and you will get a pretty good selection of those, a spool of chainsaw pull cord is very handy for tying things up, very strong and easy to work with. You can't keep everything on the truck you need but after 6 months or so you will have a pretty good idea of what you really should have. The biggest thing is a good attitude, and try to make good relationships with other field mechanics you might work around. I have learned to try and get my own part numbers when ordering parts, that way if it is wrong I can't get mad at anybody but me. It is extremely hard to describe the o ring in the spool valve thing that hangs on the side of the main valve body on a Cat 320c over the phone, even harder for the poor parts guy to try figure out what you are talking about! If you are like me you will love it, always look out for yourself and know when to get help, sometimes you have to.

  15. #15lilbluewarchief2015-08-31 00:05

    Lots of great advice. Thank you all so much for your tips! I will most certainly put them to use.

  16. #16nowing752015-08-31 20:40

    I keep a Deutsch connector kit on the truck. Have used it many times. If your working on the same equipment manufacture look for diffrent style connectors and pins. I keep lots of hydraulic fittings and adapters for testing and repairs. Colored zip ties are great for marking hoses as previously mentioned. Lots of brake clean and rags. Flash lights and head lights are a mush. I have lots of 12 volt led lights on the truck. Microwave,food and antacids and aspirin. I like to have nuts washers bolts, cotter pins,safety wire. A 10 x10 canapé can come in handy.

  17. #17nowing752015-08-31 20:44

    Whoops upside down. 2 laptops and my ipad is great for looking up parts. Spare tire for the truck and fuel filters for it also.

  18. #18partsandservice2015-08-31 21:27

    I almost exclusively repair logging equipment. I always enjoyed working in the woods, but the part I hated was having to make a three or for hour jump back the house after fifteen on the job and then having to be on time to work the next morning so I would get overtime pay for staying out so late. Save enough of yourself to get home safely. Electrical tape and paper shop rags make a good feild patch when cut your hand on a radiator hose clamp, cut off plastic tie , sharp metal ect. Try to make it to the job with a plenty of fuel . I once got stuck coming out and had to camp in the truck for the night till the crew came in to pull me out. Luckily they showed at day break. IMO you must have snap on angle wrenches to effectively repair hydaulic equipment.

  19. #19willie592015-08-31 21:34

    LoL, in my more seasoned years it seems you can poke a hole in my skin easier than a rubber inner tube, it's not unusual at all to see a greasy shop rag wrapped around one of my appendages held in place with duct tape at any given time.

  20. #20willie592015-08-31 21:46

    Oh, by the way, you're pretty much in the same region I am...the South. I don't know what your particular skills are, but if you get in a service truck with a welder/generator, toss a 110V electric fan in the back of the truck. I got a call at 2:00 this afternoon to change a return hose on a breaker. Awesome, easy job, I already keep a spare hose for this breaker, be in an out of the job in 30 minutes. Nope. Got on site and the Mexican operating the machine pointed to a crack that had developed in the arm of that SK250. Drat! Drag out the welding gear, the arc gouger, the grinders, the rods and slag hammer, but before I started the first thing I did was grab the fan in the back of the truck and set it up. It made that welding repair job much more comfortable in the middle of a wide open dirt site with no shade and the 90 degree day sun beating down on me.

  21. #21FSERVICE2015-08-31 21:54

    willie I thought you liked the heat!!! LOL remember that heat when its snowing & cold outside another thing that's great to have on the truck (in the first aid kit) is super glue.. it works great on those cuts that are deep or wont stop leaking!!! nowing you must get fuel from the same place as me!! it never fails cold late night or a Friday evening on the way home it will clog up!! even tho I change it at every oil change also...

  22. #22willie592015-08-31 22:00

    FSERV, given a choice between the heat and the cold, I'll take the heat any day. That fan felt purty darn good on this hot day, but I've got a gut feeling it would not be so comfortable blowing on me on a 15 degree F day when the wind on a day like that is doing a fair job of cutting me to the bone. I'll take the heat and the fan.

  23. #23FSERVICE2015-08-31 22:05

    I can take the cold better than the heat.. I keep a squirrel cage blower on the truck.. it even works great at night to keep the bugs off

  24. #24RBMcCloskey2015-08-31 22:21

    #7cardboard (Kentucky creeper) , I was told they are Jersey Creepers! Other things to consider: 1) Make sure others know where you are and when you should return. I you have a problem they will know where to look. Make it plane that if they do not hear from you come and check. 2) Keep your cell phone within reach at all times when working alone. 3) Trust your instincts, if something feels wrong listen to that little voice, it my save your life. Think your plan of action through, what will happen if I ____? 4) Keep a complete change of clothes in a vacuum sealed bag, including clean knickers and socks, and a shaving kit for those late nights. Don't try to drive 4 hours after a very long day, stay in a motel and get home alive. 5) If you do a lot of cutting and welding, removing frozen pins and bolts, consider a BROCO, see BROCOINC.com 6) Invest in a Slide Sledge, your body will thank you. slidesledge.com 7) Buy a good set of knee pads and use them, when you are 60 you will be able to stand unaided. 8) REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT BULITE PROOF, BE CAREFUL! 9) Have SEVERAL Fire Extinguishers and keep them near. 10) A small tank of Liquid Nitrogen is great for shrinking pins and press fit parts and eliminating bee, hornet and wasp nests. Break Clean works well also. Good Luck, Bob

  25. #25partsandservice2015-08-31 22:24

    I also have a straw hat in the truck, if I can keep the beating sun off me I am alright. I have seen others with an umbrella mount on the end of their crane that could be put right over them and moved with the sun. I have personally took the buncher, cut a head full and brought the shade to the knuckle boom because the knuckle boom is never in the shade. I am no longer the anytime anywhere man I use to be, at least when it comes to wrenching. I no longer do heavy repair on the road, and with all this electrical stuff to repair nowadays , I travel around in a half ton pickup.

  26. #26willie592015-08-31 22:30

    Heat/cold, to each his own. IMHO, winter can be described with two words...cold and dead. That leads to the third word...yuk! As for food, I'm like others, I pack more than I can eat daily. Yes, I eat the sandwich or perishable I pack, but I've got extra packaged crackers/cakes, just in case. The lunch bucket also contains goody powders, ibuprofen, Neopsporin, dental pic, and a BIC lighter. And I keep a tin of sardines (yes, I'm a fish eater) and a can of pork n beans in the cab of the truck, they both have a long shelf life and can be a lifesaver in those unusual circumstances.

  27. #27willie592015-08-31 22:46

    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does that, love my Guy Harvey straw hat, I call it my "Southern Sombrero", like having a shade tree on top of your head.

  28. #28partsandservice2015-08-31 23:43

    Mine's from the Tractor Supply collection...

  29. #29willie592015-08-31 23:49

    It's been said that great minds think alike.

  30. #30lantraxco2015-09-01 02:31

    I of course have the pacific island version, it's cloth brim and top with mesh venting... straw would be way too close to my Mexican heritage on my sainted Mother's side of the family :Cowboy

  31. #31partsandservice2015-09-01 03:12

    I think we may be on a tangent, back to the advise. Diagnostics is usually the feild mechanics responsibility. The day of the old school diesel mechanic is passing. However under all that stuff is just the same old engine, the computer just monitors the parameters that are nessesary to make the engine run properly. It is almost always a wire and almost never the ECM . Explaining to the customer that ECM you just replaced and reprogrammed change nothing does not help the reputation . I have seen those screw ups covered up in the shop, but in the feild there is nothing to do but face the music. No jumping down! Keep it up and you will find out why. Be the first in line to get your shop rags, they are always in short supply.

  32. #32Cmark2015-09-01 06:37

    If you're desperate for a dump, Mcdonalds have nice clean facilities.

  33. #33chris_james2015-09-01 07:43

    A puddy knife scraper how ever you wanna call it. Youd be surprised how mych lighter a belly pan gets without that carp on it. Sticking with belly pans a piece of plywood and a floor jack is a lot easier way to put one back up.

  34. #34Cutterjohn2015-09-01 07:53

    This made me laugh out loud, as truer words were never spoken. But I always feel guilty doing that, like I have to buy a milkshake or something after stopping to avail myself of their restroom.

  35. #35kshansen2015-09-01 10:28

    Like someone once told me don't feel bad about using the facilities when needed just think of the many times you stop to get a quick bite and don't used the facilities. It all evens out in the long run, but then I do like the chocolate shakes, but they are not as good as the ones I made when I worked there back in the day! The ones for personal consumption had a couple extra shots of chocolate in them! Back then they were not computer controlled portions!

  36. #36kshansen2015-09-01 10:33

    On this same topic. When ever I replaced a component with these Deutsch connectors I would always cut the old connectors off with a bit of wire attached. Handy to repair a harness if you have some pins or sockets in stock and also handy to hook up things to test them. Can be tricky making contact down in a socket without shorting something out!

  37. #37Nige2015-09-01 10:53

    While on the subject of Deutsch connectors don't forget the crimp tool. It doesn't come in the connector kit.

  38. #38GregsHD2015-09-01 11:28

    I had this happen with a Weather Pack kit I bought, the picture on the parts store computer showed the crimp tool in the kit, seemed like a good deal so I ordered it, when it showed up no crimp tool. I got the parts person to sharpen his pencil enough to cover the cost of the crimper :tong

  39. #39RBMcCloskey2015-09-01 12:23

    great idea!

  40. #40Nige2015-09-01 12:53

    Along with a digital multimeter a Fluke TL81A Lead kit allows you the options to either slide a contact down the side of a cable into the back of a connector or pierce the insulation.

  41. #41tctractors2015-09-01 13:59

    I keep a print off showing torque targets on CAT and Komatsu bolt also all the info on Relay's, what No does what its real handy to test them, then there is the heat temp gun and the Tippex Pen for marking things like hoses or bolts torque set so you know what you have done, I also write inside door panels service detail including pilot and main pressures as a log. tctractors

  42. #42kshansen2015-09-01 16:34

    I also would write notes like tc says, little picture of what wire goes where on a relay or starter, right on the machine next to where I was working with felt tip pen. Sometimes they are still there years latter when you have to make the repair again. Really comes in handy when someone fries the wiring and all the colors are gone off them.

  43. #43Nige2015-09-01 16:54

    These days it's easy to keep loads of photos with a smart phone ..........

  44. #44repowerguy2015-09-01 18:02

    A three ring binder with cheat sheets for the work you do,I had them for the ecm pins on cat and cummins when I worked on ready mix trucks and torque specs on heads and such. ECM,s do go bad often on r-mix trucks, concrete is base and cleaner is acid after a while it takes it's toll on them and the wire harness.

  45. #45RBMcCloskey2015-09-01 18:42

    I highly recommend, Fundamental Electrical Trouble Shooting by Dan Sullivan www.esitest.com

  46. #46kshansen2015-09-01 19:04

    Very true, that and even inexpensive digital cameras! Handy when you need to show boss or customer the problem! Also handy for seeing into places too small for your head. Stick camera up in there and take a few pictures, sometimes can see things better than playing with flash light and mirror.

  47. #47repowerguy2015-09-01 19:50

    I also might recommend satellite radio or a music app for your phone to keep the insanity at bay when you are out by yourself, it can keep a long day from being so intolerable.

  48. #48blowerman2015-09-02 21:29

    Not the best pic, but it's a rexroth hydro pack on an express bark blower truck that all solenoids and plugs needed changing. Yep, Deutsch connectors. They are becoming more common. I picked up a few different sized crimpers. The chasing for stuff when wrenching is what drives me nuts.

  49. #49kshansen2015-09-03 07:45

    Blowerman, That looks like a good place for these: http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/american/catalog/color-cable-ties-pack-color-pla-301.php?gclid=CITg4Ivk2scCFUWRHwoddnoBZA I liked using these zipties to color code things. one on each side of connection. With that many connections might have to double up with two different colors. Nice thing about the zip ties they will work even on nasty dirty machines and will stay there even if pressure washed. And often they are still there many years later! NOTE: the link was just a quick one to show them. I got mine through the NAPA dealer but many places sell them.

  50. #50old-iron-habit2015-09-03 08:13

    Of all the great advice offered here one thing was not brought up. Make sure when on a job your time includes cleaning up your tools and gear and stowing them back in their proper place. If you throwing them in and run to get home or to the next project, before long you will have a mess and spend more time searching than working.

  51. #51Nige2015-09-03 08:30

    Along with a sign over the toolbox(es) - "The guy who lends tools is on vacation".

  52. #52pburress2015-09-03 18:03

    X's 2

  53. #53thepumpguysc2015-09-03 19:14

    YUP.. and make sure to put on your paperwork.. leave shop/time and mileage.. arrive at jobsite, time /mileage... leave JS, time.. arrive at shop, time and mileage.. I ALWAYS put on my paper work when I got back to the shop.. put tools away and paper work.. sometime it takes 30 minutes, sometime it takes 1 hr... who's eating THAT TIME? The co. or the customer? I always said, its not my problem, they can figure it out.. but atleast they had the info infront of them..!! TO THIS DAY I STILL DONT KNOW.. and I've been doin it for 30+ years.. Lol ONE TIME there was a BAD accident about 300 yards from a cust. driveway.. no way around traffic, marsh on both sides.. sat in the truck for 2 hrs listening to the radio.. got a call from the boss, saying the customer can see the truck.. and wasnt happy.. the response my boss gave the customer was> WE have NO CONTROL over traffic.. Basically , it was a courtisy call from the boss telling me I was about to walk into a sh**t storm.. SO if you keep track over your time away from the shop. everyone will be happy.

  54. #54chris_james2015-09-03 21:48

    Glad I don't have to deal with that

  55. #55RobVG2015-09-04 00:24

    Hmm, I thought someone dredged up and old thread. Hi lilbluewarchief. Just a thing or two, probably already said: -Always keep an extra pair of coveralls and a roll of paper towels behind your seat. -Never wear safety glasses when grinding- wear gogles. -Make and print out a list of things you need when you go out to service a machine. On my list are keys, and my phone. And coveralls...

  56. #56pburress2015-09-04 07:14

    I track my time too , anything related to a job goes under "m" for mait. Putting tools away, going to shop, drive time, etc is put under "n" for non productive, getting parts, inventory, etc goes under "ir" inventory replenishment, training goes under "t" for training. It helps me track my time.

  57. #57thepumpguysc2015-09-04 08:16

    Personally I'm a "shop guy".. I RARELY leave the property.. I HATE going out on jobs.!! I dont have an assigned service truck, so everything in my tool box gets packed into tool bags.. cuz you NEVER know what your going to need.. IDK if its already been said, but a good handtruck comes in handy.. saves on the ole' back too.. not to mention REPEATED TRIPS BACK to the truck..

  58. #58RBMcCloskey2015-09-04 09:11

    I would like to add to the list: Personal Safety 1) Keep a two day supply of your prescription medications in your truck AND a note list of any medical conditions that might leave you unable to respond to the EMS, ie: Diabetes, Heart Conditions, COPD, Hypoglycemia...you get the idea 2) A liquid and or jell-cap ANTIHISTAMENE, such as Benadryl, to counteract allergic reactions to foods, bites and stings from bugs, spiders and bees. It can slow down or stop anaphylactic shocks. ASK YOUR DOCTOR 3) Know the signs of heat stroke and hypothermia, have a plan for each one. 4) A personal data sheet: If you are unconscious and EMS or your fellow employees need to know; Your Name and address & phone numbers, medical conditions if any, medications you are taking, your doctors names & phone numbers, who to contact & phone number for permission to treat you if, needed ANYTHING that might effect your treatment if injured or unconscious. I have been in the heavy/highway industry for 45 years and have seen the results of the preparing AND not preparing for the above issues and those I posted earlier. Bob

  59. #59gtermini2015-09-04 11:41

    Don't forget a roll of ***** tickets sealed in a ziplok bag so they don't get wet. You never know when you're gonna NEED them in an instant. Greyson

  60. #60RBMcCloskey2015-09-04 19:00

    Please translate to New jersey English, Thanks

  61. #61chris_james2015-09-04 19:53

    Toilet paper

  62. #62lilbluewarchief2015-09-04 22:28

    Yes TP is a must.

  63. #63wornout wrench2015-09-05 01:42

    Naaaa That's why coveralls have so many pockets You just rip another one off each time

  64. #64Axle2015-09-05 12:56

    Don't buy cheap ty-wraps. If the shop supplies cheap tywraps, go buy your own (I ran out and needed them...) Cheap ones have sharp edges (eventually cut into cables/hoses), and are a lot stiffer than good tywraps aka a lot more difficult to wrap & engage when you could use a third hand. And if you are leaving them on the machine, flush cut them for crying out loud. I hate coming across lazy tech's tyrwraps who couldn't be bothered flush cutting them and leaving a sharp edge for you to find... No BS will get you far. Over time, that will even work in your favor with the boss man as it'll give you a bit more leeway if you happen to have a bad day. And on the topic of bad days, if who you see on the jobsite is miserable and a pita, be diplomatic, they are probably miserable and a pita becuase their machine is broke, will cost them even more money, and put a crimp in their schedule. You are there to unmiserable them. Doesn't work for everybody, but even the crusty b*****d that needs a wrench to the side of the head just because, will remember you as the guy who didn't **** him off more and got things working. Certain names I see I always have a silent groan, but oddly enough, they are also some of my best allies in the past when things could go upside down. If you don't do it, ask the operator, "any weird noises you have heard, no matter how small or inconsistant?". As you get more familiar with certain equipment, having a one on one non-technical q&a with the operator can get you information to help drill down to what is actually wrong and you will learn a few key questions with certain equipment to differentiate systems. Whir, or buzz? Sounds like a helicoptor or a truck tire rolling down the highway? What may sound like dumb comparisons, but in everyday terms, most people can tell the difference between the two. It is a lot better than, "it made a racket"... Alex.

  65. #65fixou8122015-09-05 16:30

    Hope you can stick weld good enough to do a "Dutchman " that's welding a nut onto a shaft. Seems alot of air cooled portable machines have been run past their duty cycle and don't like welding overhead. Keep a little crome rod 5/32 , 1/8 309 or machinery rod with you for extracting bolts. Work on your bolt collection supply.

  66. #66RBMcCloskey2015-09-05 21:44

    Thank You, EXCELLENT Point, and my I also suggest Tucks Whipes.

  67. #67Cmark2015-09-16 04:31

    Here's a tip that came up today with one of our guys; Before you drive off in the service truck, check that you've shut all the toolbox doors........

  68. #68pburress2015-09-16 05:32

    x'2

  69. #69JPV2015-09-16 07:50

    x 3

  70. #70chris_james2015-09-16 07:53

    Indeed im bad about this. Or they will look shut I have to push the rod in and put a padlock on still sometimes they werent shut all the way start driving look at a mirror door open.

  71. #71lantraxco2015-09-16 10:57

    Seen that, door open and tools bouncing out on the freeway while the driver sips coffee like all was right with the universe. As an addition, LOCK them anytime you walk away from the truck. I missed one once stopping for lunch and lunch cost me over a thousand dollars in lost tools.

  72. #72Muffler Bearing2015-09-16 20:12

    What a great thread! The perfect thing to read while I sat in the truck listening to a regen. Thanks! hmmm, I better add a tip, I premix all my different coolants into 2.5 gal DEF containers, then I don't have to deal with finding water when I need to top something up.

  73. #73lantraxco2015-09-16 20:26

    That's great, but no offense I hope you mark h*ll out of those containers, one shot of glycol in the DEF tank and it will be an ugly day indeed.

  74. #74FSERVICE2015-09-16 22:50

    yes always check the doors!! especially before you back the truck out of the shop!! I have saw this happen 2 different times over the years, its bad for the truck & really bad for the shop door & post on the building.. iv been very careful after I saw the bill for the building lucky it was not me on either of these mishaps!!! I have had the door come open going around a corner tho!! u cant belive that much stuff can go that far in such a short time!!!

  75. #75old-iron-habit2015-09-16 22:52

    Just re-reading this great thread and noticed one bit of advice about grinding with goggles instead of safety glasses. Good advice until recently as OSHA requires a full face shield for grinding. We had an incident a few years ago at a project where an employee using a 9" grinder caught the wheel and it broke sending a section of wheel thru his cheek and scarred his jaw good. A face shield would probably have saved him a lot of hurt.

  76. #76lantraxco2015-09-16 22:57

    I won't disagree with you about wearing a face shield, but they're not all that impenetrable. They will stop small fragments from drawing blood, which is better than just goggles or glasses.

  77. #77old-iron-habit2015-09-16 23:09

    Agreed. For sure they are not bullet proof, but when it is possible to wear one it offers a bit more protection and to reiterate the main reason for the post was to hopelully save someone from getting a OSHA citation.

  78. #78ETER2015-09-20 11:21

    I don't have any, but I have seen safety glasses that look like "low profiled" goggles and have the foam glasses to face seal. I think this style glasses and a face shield might offer the best protection for grinding operations since the grindings seem to be able to ricochet in behind regular glasses and a full face shield when you think they wouldn't. Regards, Bob

  79. #79lantraxco2015-09-20 11:49

    Yep, those glasses with the seals are great. Worst issue I ever had was a tiny sliver of steel in one eye after laying under a light truck drilling holes while installing trailer wiring. Had goggles on the whole time thought I was bulletproof. Must have gotten in through the little air vent squares. Didn't even know it until the next day, by noon I was at the ER having it removed and the rusty spot around it dremel tooled to clean it up. Not an experience I would care to repeat.

  80. #80fixou8122015-09-21 08:44

    I believe they're called mono goggles those with a face shield work good if you're doing alot of grinding.

  81. #81kshansen2015-09-21 13:34

    I've be lucky never had that happen but one day in same position had a steel shaving go in the ear, could hear it sizzling for a while. Was lucky it didn't get stuck and came right out. Not that there is much between the two ears to have it hang up on anyhow!:falldownlaugh

  82. #82nowing752015-09-21 17:27

    Love the hot slag in the ear when welding.

  83. #83Former Wrench2015-09-21 19:30

    I was always into carrying hardware to get things done; shackles, lifting eyes, chain and chain binder, a little bit of plate steel, some cold roll, bolts with the heads cut off for line-up studs, a come-a-long and other that I found helping me out from time to time. Remember your hands. You only have two chances to error, the right one and the left one. Don't put them anywhere there is a chance to get them bitten off. Good luck.

  84. #84RobVG2015-09-21 22:52

    That's why God gave us ear hair.

  85. #85wornout wrench2015-09-22 06:47

    Had a friend that lost the hearing in one ear when a he got some slag in his ear. He said it was the loudest and last thing he ever heard out of that ear. I wear ear plugs all the time when cutting or welding now.

  86. #86GregsHD2015-09-22 12:07

    When I was young and stupid starting out, an old boy teaching me told me to always wear ear plugs while welding or cutting with the torch, but he didn't tell me why, knowing full well that i'd figure it out PDQ, and I did!! Makes me cringe just thinking about molten slag sizzling and bouncing around in my ear!

  87. #87RobVG2015-09-22 20:49

    Anyone watch the car restoration shows on cable? These guys don't wear gloves when grinding. I guess they've never looked down on the back of their hand and saw a white streak and beads of blood staring to form. I figure the burning sensation alone is enough to want to wear gloves. But I guess they're just that good.....

  88. #88old-iron-habit2015-09-22 22:41

    Sss Somehow I suspect their grinding time is for a very short duration. Always see them guys welding without a hood also while tacking. Makes me think they are not that good if they are that careless.

  89. #89crewchief8882015-09-26 16:07

    i've been wrenching at const eq dealers for 30 years, spent over 1/2 that time in the field. i've been in everything from a chevy luv pickup to f550 SD trucks. heres my suggestions. most pertain to cold weather water, water and more water, even in the wintertime. you can easily get dehydrated in 0* F temps. i easily go through a gallon every day. food/snacks, i dont eat much at all during the day, but there are those times when you have to have something to eat. warm & dry gloves, extra socks, extra pair of cold weather boots, rain jacket, extra pair of insulated coveralls or bibs. keep your phone charged if you use cordless tools, spare batteries, or an inverter and charger(s). keep in contact with your supervisor, so he knows how things are going. if i leave in the am and are headed to 3 calls, we have a "time frame" of when i should be done, in case theres an "emergency". i dont keep my phone on me while i'm working, but i check it when i grab water, or as soon as i get back into the truck. we have our (work) email synched to our (company supplied) phones. sometimes things dont go as planned, (sh*t happens), my customers appreciate honesty, even if it means the machine will be down until parts come in, but we try to get everyone up and running ASAP. i think above all, maintain your sense of humor, even when mr customer is furious..... :drinkup

  90. #90DARO2015-09-28 23:10

    Good luck. And have fun. Cuz when u get there. The bad day is probably in full swing..

  91. #91Volvomad2015-10-02 20:09

    Former Wrench hit the nail on the head with an assortment of studs. when working alone as I normally do in the shop or field can be as good as a spare pair of hands for heavy components .

  92. #92adam.p2015-10-10 21:07

    This is the best advice I have ever heard for a field mechanic! Especially the part about a sidearm, I had an ecounter with a cougar while out doing a service in the bush.

  93. #93monster truck2016-02-15 22:54

    A lot of good advice here, but as someone that world alone a lot I will add to keep your cell phone charged and on you! I learned the importance of that one first hand and now try to always make sure I have it on me while working. Also, don't drop it out of your shirt pocket and into a pond, that sucks too.

  94. #94chris_james2016-02-27 18:46

    The part about a microwave is sound advice. I get tired of sandwichs or if im running behind being able to crap some instanc stuff would be great. Ive thought about doing it. Just making room for it on the truck is the hard part. Ive spent a bunch of 12 hour days on a service call with no lunch. Seems to be easy one then two or three other tractors go down while im their.

  95. #95nowing752016-02-27 21:05

    I took the passenger seat out of my KENWORTH and I'm going to make a frame that the microwave will fit under and access with the passenger door open,going to put a cushion on top in case I have to have a passenger. Don't have it done yet so no pics.

  96. #96chris_james2016-02-28 08:00

    Ah my truck has a bench seat. To have it in the cab would be nice.

  97. #97lantraxco2016-02-28 18:08

    Nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich made on a hot plate... piece of steel plate heated with a rosebud, LOL

  98. #98Wes J2016-02-28 18:33

    Back in the day I worked for the township road department. When we hauled asphalt the guys would pick sweet corn out of the fields and toss it in back with the hot asphalt. By the time you dumped it it was nicely cooked inside it's husk.

  99. #99kshansen2016-02-29 07:55

    Sounds just like a welder we had at work years back. Heat up a piece of 1/2 plate clamped to the bench in the shop and cook his lunch. Then there was the guy at one of our plants who ran the drill rig. I was helping him pull the 8V-71 that snapped its crankshaft, yea it still ran! Anyhow while removing the exhaust he told me to be careful with that bent up piece of something like 1/4 steel rod that was hanging on the one manifold. Said that is a very important part of the machine. Asked him what it did. He said around 9:00AM you stick a can of beef stew or chicken soup in the bracket and come noon time it was just right to eat!

  100. #100SchuLace2016-02-29 22:40

    One day one of our field guys was cleaning out his truck because he went back into the shop. He had a microwave sitting with his tools and I asked him about it. He said it was awesome for meals but also for warming up water to warm up seals before installation.

  101. #101Birken Vogt2016-02-29 23:42

    Too bad I threw out a small MW oven just the other month. I am putting together a service truck very soon. This is a classic example of why I usually never throw anything away.

  102. #102lantraxco2016-03-01 03:41

    Thrift stores are your best friends, I have a compact 1000 watt microwave that came out of a hotel unit, PERFECT size and mounts under a shelf.

  103. #103Cmark2016-03-01 06:45

    To put it in to perspective, around here you would be hard pressed to find a serviceman without a mini 24V fridge-freezer in his truck.

  104. #104FSERVICE2016-03-07 21:46

    with cold adult beverages in it I hope!!

  105. #105old-iron-habit2016-03-08 09:51

    In the winter of 1978 we were driving piling at the Basin Electric power plant in Buelah, ND. I had a can of chili setting on the manifold of the Cat in the 9310 American crane. We finished one area and had to walk the crane about 100 yards to a different area for the next group of piles. You can imangine how mad the oiler was at me when my chili can exploded all over the inside of the crane house just before we got there. That manifold got much hotter with the engine wound up walking than it ever did driving pile. Might not have been so bad if he had not been in the house and got beans splattered all over him when they dripped off the house roof. It was cold lunch for the rest of that job.

  106. #106CableDW10cat2016-03-17 17:27

    If you like coffee and have 110v handy on the truck, get an oxbox coffee machine.

  107. #107CableDW10cat2016-03-17 23:29

    Nesting trays, i like fiberglass as they clean up nice, hold hot oil, dont wrinkle. If you use pakrat tool boxes, weld a locking latch/clasp on it, rough roads will bounce the spring loaded pin loose, viola the draw slides open. Get your bolts organized. Look up durham steel products, or similar. Sliding trays with tote bins for electrical, screws, airbrake, zip ties, yada yada assortments. Spare vehicle parts... f450 and f550, dodge 4500s etc you need some lug studs and lug nuts, preferably enough for one wheel end. Fuel filter. Xtra oil. Fords... extra alternator. Freightliner service truck i had was hard on batteries, the kenworth was fantastic other than the yellow crap under the hood. Carry a jack big enough to lift the truck, and actually small enough to get under the vehicle. Oil samples. Safety stuff... ears, eyes, hands, lockouts, etc easily at hand, and some extras. Get an rn or emt to make up your first aid kit. Lots of gauze, tape, vet wrap, maxipads plus some of the regular stuff. And burn free ointment. Its good stuff. Info. Dont be cheap, get on bookfinder.com or ebay or amazon and BUY the books, manuals, specifications, microfiche etc to know your equipment. And dont be cheap on the special tooling. Its special for a reason, and that is it saves time/fingers/warranty work. And sometimes, if you dont have the tools, dont take the job on. Use a tool tray like what is used in a graymills solvent tank, keeps tools readily accessible and dirt falls through. And alot of the daily tools fit when on an extended project, making cleanup faster.

  108. #108Former Wrench2016-03-18 13:49

    Here is a handy one for both the shop and field. Find an old speaker with a large magnet. Strip out the magnet and stick it to something handy so when things are being dismantled, screws, bolts, little part can be stuck on the magnet. This prevents lose when parts cans get tipped over and the contents go everywhere.

  109. #109CableDW10cat2016-03-23 00:21

    A pair of cat dw21 tire bars, cant remember the part number offhand. Best bars you will ever have stolen at every damn jobsite you get to. Dr. Trannys assembly goo. Get a small tub from your napa guy. The tool catalog that is dealership only for the various companies. Check ebay. Dont be afraid to tell a client you do not know something. But, do not charge for your time and personal education. Do find a way to charge out the service/part manual if the customer is dodgy about buying it themselves or not providing it for you. Dont quit, keep at it. Take a 5er to catch your breath, tidy up the workspace, regroup. Attack again. In the end, you have to solve the problem. An old friend of mine, head mechanic for greens construction back in the day, told me never work for a man that has a race car or a boat. He will have you come fix his emergency on his dozer so he can keep working, and will always have money to go racing or weekending at the lake. But money is always gonna be tight to pay you. "Hey, man, we're headed to the lake this weekend. Wanna come up and have some beers and bbq?" ....... "no, i would like you to pay me so i can buy my own beer and bbq." " man, i would like to, but money is pretty tight right now...." Im not saying its like that every time, but he wasnt far off in my experience.

  110. #110RBMcCloskey2016-03-23 09:14

    Could you post a picture of DW21 tire bars. Also could you list the manufacturers that have tool catalogs, I have only found Caterpillar's. ALL of your points are well made, very good advise!

  111. #111CableDW10cat2016-03-23 10:50

    Komatsu, john deere, cat, cummins, detroit, case, etc. Otc and kent moore catalogs are ebay items as well. Monaco tool company will send you a price list catalog, they make good tools. I am sure that there are a few I am missing or have overlooked. The tire bar is cat # 4f5166. And its been that number since the 40s. Its a rolling head bar on steroids. I think they run about $50-60 each nowdays.

  112. #112RBMcCloskey2016-03-23 14:39

    Thank You!

  113. #113nowing752016-03-23 20:16

    Yep there is always money to go racing CableDW10cat.

  114. #114CableDW10cat2016-03-23 21:33

    Not intending to step on your toes. Rather a broad warning about how some folks in this neck of the woods feel about work and play, and which one holds the purse strings. Field service can be hard, not getting paid makes it harder. Accounts receivables that are 6 to 8 months is asinine.

  115. #115lantraxco2016-03-23 22:25

    Wives that like to shop make the best collection agencies.... just sayin'...

  116. #116CableDW10cat2016-03-23 23:16

    Getting paid is the hardest part of the job. Some clients are best off with other folks sending them invoices.

  117. #117Mike L2016-03-24 18:13

    That sounds like a double edged sword. " remember that engine overhaul?" Ooh look at my new shoes!"

  118. #118thepumpguysc2016-03-24 20:04

    The CO. that I work for "HAD" a 90 day grace period seeing we dealt with BIG companys.. THEN it went to 30 days out.. NOW its 15 days and you get charged 1.5% of the total invoice..

  119. #119excavator2016-03-24 21:47

    I have to say as far as getting paid that I have been blessed with extremely awesome customers. But I've also been at it long enough that I don't have to take every call that comes my way. Where I have to be careful is when someone calls and says they have had several other guys work on it and can't figure it out. It then becomes a big challenge and I have been bitten there before. As far as advice on the original post, if you're working out in the boonies, especially by yourself, always back into the job site. That way if something goes wrong and you need to crawl to your truck and get out of there you don't have to bother getting turned around first.

  120. #120RBMcCloskey2016-04-05 19:32

    Mike, Are you in Maine or Texas? Bob

  121. #121Mike L2016-04-05 20:08

    Back in Maine these days. Texas was great but the girlfriend had enough of being away from family.

  122. #122eastroad2024-08-18 14:51

    X4 on the compartment doors.