Im thinking bout putting together a small service truck to get in some of the rural places im asked to go here lately. I have a T800 with a service bed welder deck & crane!!, im thinking bout a 1 ton sized truck just for the fact some of the country goat paths here im a road full!! do any of you other wrenches think this is worth it? not to mention I might be overweight on a bridge I crossed last week!! (it is load tested to the stated amount posted) Im just thinking out loud here looking for a few thoughts.
I think one of those tracked dumpers would make a great FIELD service truck
On a different scale, f550 and f150. This works well for me. I have found that the with the crane truck I end up just totin the crane most of the time. The f150 is a lot less expensive to operate and being a 4x4 and loaded to the rear it will go near about anywhere and no dot hassles I know for the most part which jobs will require the crane.
I have an 89 chevy 1 ton I'll sell you. Has a decent bed on it
I don't know if the reward would outweigh the risk. cost of a truck, plus insurance, registration, maintenance and $ to set it up. Then if your luck is anything like mine you'd be 50 miles from home and then need the big truck or at least a tool you left on the big truck.
If I was looking at a dually, pickup sized service truck, I would surely get a 19.5k gvw, 4x4, crew cab 550 over a 1 ton.
I think it depends on what type of activities you are planning on doing. With beefed up springs you can get a lot of stuff on a 1-ton. If need be, you can outfit a small trailer to pull that could be used as your dedicated welding rig or whatever. The more you plan this out, the better off you will be.
Why beef up a one ton when you can buy it beefed up from the factory? Excluding for a daily driver or empty highway trips, there's nothing I like better about a 1 ton over a 550. When the time comes, my theory is to replace my f250 with a 2015+ F450 pickup for towing capacity, high hp, and mileage. When it comes time to spend the money I may get an F550, but they sure are thirsty with 4.88 gearing.
I only do the jobsite repair part time after hours for now but I haven't had a problem at all just using my 1500 Silverado. Space is a little tight sometimes gotta be pretty good at Tetris-ing everything in the bed. Hasn't been anyplace I haven't been able to get to yet though
Well on the economics side of the equation, another license plate to buy, another insurance premium to pick up, wear and tear on another one (Oil, filters, fuel , tires and all else that goes with that). Then tools ,,, yup another complete set of tools. The upside is fuel mileage would, or should be better with a smaller truck. Then if your a one man show, you can't be two places at once, so if your keeping yourself busy now, there would be no more gross income and your net would drop maintaining another vehicle. But hell, if your financially fit and would enjoy a smaller more nimble ride,,, then go for it.
Understand what yore saying FSERVISE . I opted for keeping the main tools on one truck . Then depending on the service call I might throw a few tools in the Jeep or if need be use a Max 6X6 ATV or farm tractor get to the task if it's deep in the woods . HeavyEquipmentForums I gave up on the one piece of equipment or truck to get the job done a long time ago. That might be an option ... ATV & trailer behind the T 800 for the backwoods jobs ?
I was trying to justify buying a new RZR!!! LOL... I already have the Chevy 3500HD now use it for a shop truck (it has a flat bed on it now, I also have a Autocrane bed setting in the barn that could be installed on it. with a 5000# crane) Grandpa you make a few good points in your post most importantly the being a "1 man show" (which I am) im going to see how many calls that I got last year that I could have used the smaller truck on & see if it is worth the investment.. OR if the company needs a RZR!! thanks TD
Yup, that sells it. The "company" definitely needs a RZR! Can you get your accountant to approve it?
Wright now 90% of the work i do is away from my shop. I dont have a sevice truck just a pickup. I hardly ever have every thing i could use with me. I dont like the filling if i was were most of my tools are i could get more done. Some times at night i make a list of things i need for the next day only to get their and something eles needs done and i dont have the tool. I think like others have said the cost in the end wouldnt be worth wild.
Yeah FSERVISE . My first service truck was a 1974 Ford F 350 with welder ,torch , & crane . It was handy as a shirt pocket . Could carry quite a bit on it plus get in some ruff country if need be . Also being a one man show I finally concluded that I did not need to carry the whole shop on one truck for my needs . I ended up outfitting a KW 900 with 750 Holmes bed & tool box's & fifth wheel plate to move equipment . Just carry basic tools , welder , torch , & winch . Depending on conditions and severity of breakdown a decision gets made to either fix it on site or drag it home . It will be one or the other . HeavyEquipmentForums
my KW has everything that a guy could possibly want out in the field. the reason for it is, when the customers call they know if there is anyway it can b fixed where it broke at I can make it happen BUT last fall & this spring some of the farmers have started calling when things break out in B.F.E.!! (I put a track back on a D6 for a local farmer, helping out a buddy that works for a dealer that couldn't take his company truck out there & the farmer is well known & respected started telling everyone is how this mess started!!) my main business is for several local construction/bridge companies & a few local quarries. (very little oil/filter type stuff) My KW is not a problem getting round in these areas but I don't want to start taking it "over the river & thru the woods either!!" yes I have a GREAT accountant I tell him that I want a RZR & he says ok BUT you have to do this, this & this & you can have what you want my first truck was a 1972 chevy no crane just boxes!!
I have a can am commander as a " RAPID RESPONSE VEHICLE " I just load it on the deck of my picker truck and then DEPLOY it when I need to get into rough areas. I used it to go in and set a clutch on a little D4 that was about 10 miles into the bush down a road that a 4x4 1/2 ton had trouble with. I made it in and had the clutch adjusted before the the customer could make it in to the machine with his truck. My tools got some good air time on that ride. It never hurts to have a second truck as a backup even when you work alone. If your main truck breaks down your not shutdown that way.
Fservice,, do you factor a price in for your service truck, or is already figured in the hourly rate?.... Maybe charge the regular rate for the little guy and add on if big mama is needed.... get my drift?
I think the cost of having to keep two trucks stocked with tools and what not would out weigh the benefits. otherwise you would spend a couple hours moving tools back and forth before you could even set off for the job. Then theres the eventuality that you overlooked the most simple and basic of tools in the other truck. Id say a side by side with either a picking eye to set on the deck of the truck or a trailer behind for running back and forth to the truck for tools and needed items would be a much better investment.
I got one of those. just a single wheel f350. like a scaled down model of a big service truck haha works good for getting in and out of tight spots and smaller shops sorry for the crappy pic, only one I had on the laptop
Found a better pic
That's nice setup Joey. I've been looking for a crane that size for my dentside ford.
Agree hvy 1ton . Joeyslushr's rig is perfect for most jobs . I like the crew cab on it .:thumbsup
Each persons situation is different. I have every thing I need two inches and under on this truck and a helper does not need a cdl to drive it. Did I mention this truck is a mountain goat? If the plasma cant handle the cutting or heat is needed the customer must supply gas, I got the torch.
It ain't nothing fancy but I can do most anything on a truck or tractor out of it. No back seat, made a shelf for books, tools and paperwork behind driver seat. And tools in blow molded boxes on the other side. Lots of stuff packed in there haha. Shoulda built the crane mount heavier but I built it to autocranes specs...seems weak to me. Definitely a handy size for doing engine work and welding projects, makes a good 3rd hand
Let's see a few more pics of the ford joeyslushr! I might need to have a setup like that for side work!