I was given this tool a while back and really didn't have a use for it until now. Can anyone out give me some pointers on how to setup and run? Just basic setup and I will figure it out from there. Thanks in advance.
Do you have cat ET software loaded on your PC..?
Good point Nige, having "Communication adapter" without Cat ET is like having a set of sockets with no ratchet or breaker bar, looks pretty but not going to do much work!
I have the discs that came with the tool. Have not installed yet, is that all that is required? or is there a license one must purchase as well to activate?
Not sure what disks you have but I know the version we had at work before I retired had a one year subscription that had it stop working when the year was up. Everytime you logged on it would say XXX days left!
That particular Part Number of Communication Adapter has it's own software so that it can be configured to communicate with the COMM port of any particular laptop you are using. The discs you have contain that software, its only function being to ensure that the communication interface between laptop -> comm adapter -> machine electronics works correctly. In other words it's not diagnostic software. You can install the software contained on the discs you have and you will be able to establish a connection between your laptop and any Cat machine, however you won't be able to do any diagnostics. What you ALSO require in addition to the above is Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET) software installed on your laptop. That is the diagnostic software required to troubleshoot machine faults or diagnostic codes. Be sure that you're sitting down when you ask the price.
Nige, talked to my Cat dealer and found out now they will not sell me the software because I did not purchase the machine from them. Any ideas how to get around this?
Check out the MHHAUTO site and you wil be sorted with the CatET Software
MaddogMike, what is that site? Is it a forum setup like Heavy Equipment Forums?
Hi bteigrob, Yes similar to HEF and have different sections. You will find the software and keygens to use. I use the 2011B and is excellent. I spe******e in vehicle diagnostics light and heavy. Mike