http://www.readingeagle.com/news/ar...gh-wooden-bridge-in-lower-pottsgrove-township
Just looked at google maps at the location. There's a whole different entrance to the ballroom that you don't have to go over the bridge for, its a totally paved, separate entrance, I don't know how he ever got across the bridge the first time.
The story wasn't exactly clear, was there any indication he DID go over the bridge to get there? I assumed he came in the normal way and was way too distracted and just drove over this pedestrian bridge carelessly. I used to drive over bridges like that when I was younger, stupider and drove a CRX!
Looks like if it landed just a bit different it could have been fatal. A lucky guy on a unlucky day.
Anyone know a good team of Carpenters ? I need an estimate on getting a bridge repaired . Also need some cable & snatch blocks . It's really not that big of a job , couple day's at most .
Was just reading about that on another site this morning. No doubt he'll be coughing up his seat cover for days. Around here, there's a historic bridge with a 3 ton limit on it. A guy drove a milk tanker up from down south, following his GPS as he didn't know the area, and got on the bridge with his 40 ton unit before getting tangled up in the handrail at a bend. Luckily for him it held, as it's a hell of a long way down. http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2015/10/heavy-truck-damages-cambridge-bridge.html
On my way home one night I came upon an accident and the fire department was rerouting traffic. So being a good little sheep I did what they asked. The road the send me down just kept getting narrower and darker, so going down a steep hill in the dark when i rounded the curve at the bottom there was an old steel arch bridge with a weight restriction and a hight restriction and about a 50 ft drop to the river below. Did I ever have fun backing up a hill and around a curve in the dark with a constant flow of diverted traffic taking the same route as me.
that's the stuff of nightmares! Local folklore has it that many years ago, a Commercial Vehicle police officer pulled a crane over, and directed the driver to follow him to a weighbridge. Upon weighing him, one of the axles was slightly over the weight allowed on the permit, so triumphantly the officer phoned the issuing engineer to report the breach (which then invalidates the permit). It was then that the engineer informed the officer that by directing the operator to the weighbridge, the crane had been forced to cross 7 non-permitted bridges, which then needed to be inspected at a cost of $20,000 each! All permits now state that a police officer can not grant permission to cross any bridges not covered in the permit documents.
OH!! Now your looking for a carpenter, sorry " nail bender"
If you don't mind bring the Elliott Boom truck along with nail bending tools & accessories Tradesman . We need to move a vehicle that's still slightly wedged against the bridge before we can start repairs . I figure we can take it out piece at a time , should not be a big deal . Damn ! I forgot my tape measure again . Bring a tape measure as well Bro !
The whole world loves a smart ass!!!
You should feel proud he asked you to bring the elliot, some operators think nailbenders shouldn't be let around heavy equipment. Bring a tape measure for me too- I can't ever find one of those either.
I've got nothing to say.
Well said Crane Op ! My poor sense of humor was actually a complement to people like Tradesman that can operate & bend nails at the same time ! People that have equipment / skills and know what to do with them . The cat that put the Grove though the bridge in the news article has a long way to go yet ............. Home Depot looks like they have everything we need .
I'm just poking back, absolutely no offence taken. I've seen the people that shouldn't be anywhere near equipment.
I'm going to have to get you to come visit and train some nailbenders. Mine down here won't shut up. Mostly they're complaining about their operator.......
I knew a nail bender that when he missed he would say. A farmer always packs the ground round the fencepost.
Sounds like you guys got it covered. I'll bring the beer. And a lawn chair. Surely a job like that requires a good supervisor.
I like the way you think, might be best if we bare rent a crane and whomever has had the least to drink can run it. I'll bring my white hat as I'm likely the only journeyman carpenter ( makes me kinda special ) I'll get my girl to get in touch with your girl, Hey! Nobody's even asked us yet. This was TD's idea maybe he's got a contact.
Heres another article with a better picture http://www.pottsmerc.com/general-ne...ooden-bridge-at-sunnybrook?source=most_viewed
Oh sure knepptune's bringing beer and lawn chairs , tradesman's girl is going to be touching everyone else's girl, and now I know nothing is going to get done. Just as well plant some flowers around that thing, and make it a memorial to the loss of a nice crane.