Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

20 days, feeling neglected

VoodooMojo ยท 2013-12-24 17:24

It is hard to believe that for 20 days there have been no posts in this forum for assistance with malfunctioning aerial work platforms.... Merry Christmas to all, nonetheless..

Replies15
  1. #1powerjoke2013-12-24 19:03

    Well thankfully this thread is here to save the day if your lucky maybe somebody's equip will break down and they'll make a post :tong Pj

  2. #2willie592013-12-24 22:10

    Be careful what you wish for voodoo...they'll be 20 threads show up tomorrow. Besides, I'm just glad you're here when they do show up. :drinkup Merry Christmas

  3. #3Water Doc2013-12-25 07:22

    Maybe their stuck up in the air and their laptop is on the ground? :drinkup

  4. #4VoodooMojo2013-12-25 17:40

    ooh, that would be rough, especially this time of the year!

  5. #5J_Lin2013-12-26 18:27

    Hello forum. Since its been 20 days I thought I would throw in my introduction and present to you my recently acquired Ford powered 1985 JLG 40H 4WD @ 3280hrs. (not bad). Its seen its day of hay-wiring. I believe as the PQ controllers failed one by one they were bypassed with toggles. It needs some serious TLC. I've located the JLG service manual online and purchased the PQ controller book from JLG. All functions are working, with the exception of the swing brake. I'm going to be in need of wiring help as I progress with this thing. Its a nice machine, not too big, and in good shape for its age. The inquiries as to being lent out for use are piling up, however I've cautioned people no one gets it until it is restored lol! I've done some pretty involved troubleshooting in the past with hay-wired Snorkel lifts with good success, so I'm not scared. I'm happy to see there is a forum such as this one that provides sought after support.

  6. #6barklee2013-12-26 18:34

    Welcome:drinkup!!!!! Is it bad enough where you will need to replace the harness? Do you have any pictures of the machine?

  7. #7J_Lin2013-12-26 18:49

    thanks barklee for the welcome - much appreciated! I used the machine for about a month at home to get a feel for it. I took a good look overall and feel that while there is a good bit of cleaning up to do on both lower and platform wiring, the replacement of the boom harness should not be necessary. There will be many hours spent correcting the connections. I have pics, yes, but they just shots taken while in use. There are no pics of the machine innards nor of the innards of the platform control box. It was parked before the snow fell and the Siberian cold front fell on us so i wont be digging into this until spring. I don't know how to post pics yet, but am just familiarizing myself with the forum rules, etc.

  8. #8willie592013-12-26 21:30

    Welcome to HEF J_Lin. :drinkup

  9. #9mitch5042013-12-26 22:01

    Hey Voodoo, don't worry, I very seldom get around them at all; but, starting tomorrow, I'm going to be on a jobsite for a week or two where there are two JLGs. Knowing my luck....

  10. #10willie592013-12-26 22:05

    ...they'll both be a 40F.

  11. #11VoodooMojo2013-12-27 15:46

    with Wisconsin engine and Bertea valves....

  12. #12willie592013-12-27 23:26

    LoL, of course!

  13. #13OFF2014-01-08 20:58

    Hi, remember me? A happy new Year to everyone! Just checking in after being off work for 3 weeks and not even thinking about aerial work platforms the whole time. It's tough getting up at 5:00 am again after a couple weeks of sleeping in till 7:00 or 8:00 every day.

  14. #14barklee2014-01-09 16:50

    Happy new year to you as well :drinkup As it would happen i have a question........go figure after your back to work! I have a JLG 80HX+6 and i wanted to see how you would turn up the speed of the toggle functions, primarily the jib function? It and the basket rotate are agonizingly slow. I dont see a rheostat on there anywhere and dont know if they ever came equipped with one. This is the same speed from lower or upper controls. thanks!

  15. #15VoodooMojo2014-01-09 21:32

    the extend-a-reach cylinder for jib up/down should have color-flow valves on it between the cylinder and the e.a.r. valve. the plat rotator will have two 4640383 restrictor valves in line between the rotate valve and the rotator. These could need adjusting/cleaning but seeing both circuits are an issue probably not. Both these circuits derive their flow from the third section of the hydraulic pump via the Racine Bang-Bang valve bank. I would check the pressure setting at this valve bank first. Dead head the rotate or e.a.r. cylinder and check the pressure. It may just need a pressure adjustment at the Racine Bang-Bang valve bank. How does the machine steer when it is not driving?