Greetings, I'm new to the forum. It looks like a great resource. I have a 1999 Z45/25 Serial #10038 with 5176 hours. I can move the basket back and forth by hand about 8 to 10 inches. The drive gear on the motor rotates while doing this. Is there a brake mechanism internal in the motor and how much basket movement is acceptable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. That much movement is pretty scary when you're way up in the air!
If the Pinion Gear is moving it would appear that you are correct with your assumption that the issue is in the brake assembly somewhere. Do not overlook the Woodruff Key that is on the shaft the Pinion Gear attaches to. The key itself or the keyway on the shaft or gear may be suspect If there is no obvious damage to the key, keyway, shaft or gear then the problem is likely in the brake assembly.
Thanks, I'll pull the motor this weekend and see whats happening.