Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 D4C XL Hystat HOLE in the engine block

Heavy Chevy ยท 2022-10-02 21:00

I don't know anything about a CAT 3046 engine that this D4C has in it but in doing a few searches, it appears that a new or reman engine could run easiily $12-17k. Does anyone have any knowledge of finding a good 3046 block or a cheaper solution?

Replies6
  1. #1Tyler d4c2022-10-02 21:53

    I've built 2 of these engines and have torn down 3 or 4 trying for parts most of then the rod nuts come lose and then they self destruction from what I've seen 3 or 4 years ago it cost 8 or 9 thousand to build one and that was with me doing the wrench pulling. I also loctited the rod nuts.

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2022-10-02 22:21

    Wow, was it hard finding another engine block? I'm gonna call salvage yard tomorrow to see what I can come across. Any idea if there are different 3046 blocks thar are interchangeable?

  3. #3Tyler d4c2022-10-02 22:23

    The one I bought a new block from cat the other we found used use maxiforce cranks and rebuild kits in both and both had atleast one rod from them and the other got all 6 new from the same supplier

  4. #4Nige2022-10-03 03:54

    If you post the tractor Serial Number I'm sure someone could come up with a list of block Part Numbers that would fit your engine. Then you could search places such as Machinery Trader by Part Number.

  5. #5jmmybuckles2024-02-18 19:52

    Where did you find a used block from? And where did you but the rebuild kit from?

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-02-18 20:36

    Block came from used parts at the local cat dealer. Rebuild kit was sourced from maxiforce/reliance engine parts