I am about to upgrade from my JD450C to a JD650G; however just as I was about to make the deal, the seller called me and said that he had some bad news and good news.....Bad news, all of a sudden he noticed a puddle of fluid under the dozer...good news, it happened before I bought it...lol. I spoke with the seller today and he said that he thought it was going to be an easy fix but it is a major repair job now. I am not familiar with the 650G, does he have to pull the engine pack and separate the engine from the tranny like I did when I replaced the clutch on my 450C? Next question, if he has to pull the engine, I would ask that he also inspect the clutch and I would be willing to replace the clutch while he has it torn apart.....does that sound reasonable? Also, if he has to do that much work to replace the tranny seal, what else should I get him to look at while inside the machine? I'm just thinking of everything to make new while he has it torn down and I'm willing to pay for the new parts. Any suggestions?
Just a thought. How do you know if he has the proper knowledge and ability to do the repairs needed. Hate to have to go back into it after you buy it.
Good question; however, he actually buys and sells heavy equipment. He has a shop with mechanics to do the repairs.
Nice.
What specific seal is leaking? Is it a direct drive machine or a torque converter machine? The engine does not need to come out for transmission repairs, however it needs to come out for torque converter repairs. All transmission/steering clutch repairs are performed from the rear of the machine.
I will call the guy today and see if I can find out. He mentioned to me that he couldn't repair it from the rear as he suspected.
I haven't been able to reach him today; however, it has to be a direct drive machine as I can see the "incher pedal" on the left side of the floor board. The seller mentioned that he cannot fix it from the rear of the machine.