This truck was originally for plowing it seems like it is governed at 45 mph Max. Runs and drives great but won't go over 45mph. It is an automatic and rarely even shifts into 4 gear. How can I change this speed??
I have a similar issue with my truck, though it will go up to 55 I think. Won't go above that, even downhill. Interested to see what the responses are.
We have a 1999 4700 Dt466 with 5sp and it's governed at 55 MPH - up hill, down hill, coasting, loaded or unloaded. It was an old welding supply truck with lift gate we turned into a service truck back in the mid 2000's, nobody wants to drive it on the Interstate at 55 MPH too many one finger salutes!
How are they governed? I drove one rental truck governed, That was a pain! I think it must have been RPM governed, not speed. I couldn't get engine speed high enough to shift up. I'll guess that was Allison transmission. The Combination in my present truck I lose torque at high RPM, & it's tough to get it to go to high gear. I think on the flat I'd be 2400 RPM for auto shift to high. I get it to shift at 2100 by briefly letting up on the throttle. 1800 to 2000 is where all the torque is, it's much happier in high at lower RPM.
What RPM at 45 MPH?
If it’s a diesel, w a Bosch inline pump... have someone in the cab that can push the go peddle and u outside looking at the pump. Mash the peddle.. it SHOULD move the throttle on the pump until it hits a STOP SCREW.. Actually it’s the max rpm stop screw.. see if u can get 1 full turn IN.. they ARE LIMITED.. and U CAN go to far.. the nut is a 10mm & use a 90* scribe to turn the screw OR a small Allen wrench.. Just keep an eye on the tach and if u go to far, the internal stop will take over and cut the rpm BACK.. USUALLY the problem is the throttle linkage is NOT ADJUSTED CORRECTLY.. and the lever NEVER TOUCHED the stop screw. But if it does, u now know how to get a little more.. BUT... CHECK THE FULL TRAVEL FIRST.!!! Hope that helps..
The speed limit is set in the ECM. Someone with a copy of ServiceMax J1708 will need to plug into it and change the setting. ServiceMaxx is a free download from Navistar: https://navistarservice.snapon.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?ProductNumber=SM-1708
I've got a 97 dt466 and its not governed. Can't get it above 65 unless going down hill because it has no power left even empty
My instructions are for a mechanical diesel injection system,
I've been looking into this and it looks great. It says it's for the J1708 interface, and my truck has a J1939 connector I think. Will it still work if I have the correct USB adapter?
This isn't helpful, butI had a 2001 International 4700 with the DT530E and the Allison and it would easily do 75mph unloaded. I really didn't care to drive it that fast, but the 70 mph speed limit on the interstate wasn't an issue unless i was loaded going uphill. I really have no idea why so many of those trucks were built with that 466 engine. They seemed to be very under powered for moving down the highway!
A truck I drove a little bit was speed governed via the cruise control. At 45 mph may not be fast enough to hit the long cog.
Gee, I can't imagine governing a truck to 45 MPH. To me, it seems like a malfunction.
I disabled the speed limiter and set the max speed to 128. Should take care of that problem
Parbly don't need to go to 128.
It may down a mine shift with a tail wind.
More details on what you bought and how you were able to program that
It looks like Navistar ServiceMaxx J1708 on a laptop. All you need is a compatible communication adapter. ServiceMaxx J1708 covers up to 2007 engines. ServiceMaxx J1939 covers up to 2014 engines "not 100% sure the cutoff year" Both versions are a free download off Navistar's website.
Only if one of these from the ACME company is attached to its rear end.
I think maybe 60 is a more attainable goal.
WB that's the best we can get out of our '99 DT466 with 5sp but the truck does need to be going downhill.
@mekanik is correct. Free download of Service Maxx, and I borrowed a Nexiq USB link 2 from a friend. I didn't dare fool around with it too much for fear of ruining the ECM. I had to return the Nexiq right away, but if I get a chance to borrow it again I may look into more of the options. But I was able to accomplish what I wanted, which was reading the codes, and disabling the speed limiter. Link https://navistarservice.snapon.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?ProductNumber=SM-1708&CategoryId=204
The mighty 3208 Cat 10.4 liter turbo monster EASILY does 65 empty & level. With a mile of level, I can do 65 loaded (28000 GVW). Attach an 18000 LB backhoe on a trailer, 40 MPH uphill or down is near the limit.