Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 JCB 214 – slow to rev up

GIBSONJ668 ยท 2024-02-28 13:21

I need some help; I have a JCB 214 that is slow to rev up. From idle, you can push the accelerator to the floor, and it slowly gains rpm until around 1900 and then grabs rpm quickly like normal. The machine will move around but no power until it hits the 1900 rpm level. There is some raw smoke at the low end but no smoke at idle, and it clears up at the 1900rpm marker. My first thought was fuel filters; replaced all the fuel filters and cleaned the water separator bowl. Replaced the air filter also since I was buying filters. Fuel filters did not fix the issue. Then I thought maybe it was the lift pump on the side of the blocked, removed and replaced lift, again doing the same thing. Next, I thought maybe the wastegate was frozen or had broken over the winter. I went to the dealer to purchase a new wastegate, but the dealer would only sell me a whole new turbo setup . Refusing to buy a whole turbo, I tested the wastegate and it appears to be function, with force i can move the rod in and it returns normally. I am now at a loss; could it be the main injection pump? Should I test the fuel pressure? Where is the best place to connect a gauge, and what is the normal PSI out of the pump?

Replies8
  1. #1eKretz2024-02-28 18:52

    How long does it take to get to 1900?

  2. #2GIBSONJ6682024-02-28 19:18

    2-3 seconds. The motor is not missing from what I can tell. It seems to shake a little more than usually as it is trying to go up in rpm and then smooths out after 1900.

  3. #3Vetech632024-02-28 19:26

    I'd bet my next paycheck that you have a fuel restriction somewhere on the suction side.

  4. #4GIBSONJ6682024-02-28 19:31

    You think I should pull both lines off the lift pump and blow air back towards the tank and then up to the water separator bowl.

  5. #5Vetech632024-02-28 19:35

    Yes Sir! Check your fuel tank vent too..........it may be part of the fuel cap.

  6. #6GIBSONJ6682024-02-28 19:37

    Thanks for the idea. I will try it out and let you know so I can double your pay check lol.

  7. #7Kevin Foust2024-02-29 23:08

    Did you check the turbo Vane to see if it has any slop? My 214S recently went out. Yes, I know they are expensive. LOL

  8. #8GIBSONJ6682024-03-11 11:04

    I finally got around to trying your recommendation and blowing out all the fuel lines on the suction side. Unfortunately, this did not fix the issue, but I discovered the problem. (I am embarrassed to type the following; I feel like an idiot. ) The electron foot pedal for the hydraulic hammer malfunctioned and was stuck on. This caused the hydraulic pump to deadhead. I can't believe I did not hear it when I was first working on it. Unplugged the foot pedal, and it runs perfectly, revs up like normal, and starts up better.