Hi I am new to the forum. I found you guys here while searching for a solution to problems with my 2000 John Deere 410E Backhoe. A while back when I would shift the hand lever to reverse the machine would not move, but if I shifted it to forward, it would go forward fine.It seemed to be an ittermitent problem with reverse not working but forward being fine. Now reverse works all the time, but sometimes when I shift to forward, it will not go, or there will be a long delay before the machine wants to move. Has anyone had a similar problem, or any suggestions? At first I thought the shift lever on the steering column was going bad when the reverse problem started, but now with reverse working fine and forward acting up. I am wondering if it is a problem with a solenoid, connection, or something else electrical. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Bruce
It sounds like a linkage problem to me but I'm no mechanic.........and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express.....so I'm just guessing
There really isn't any linkage for the forward and reverse control.It is just a electronic lever/switch assembly that controls forward/reverse and gear. I assume it relays an electronic signal back to an ECM/PCM which in turns controls the transmission.
I would start with a little preventative maintenance that may just cure your problem and at least help prevent more. Buy some dielectric grease (any auto parts store). Go through all the electrical connectors that you can find under your machine that appear to be connected to the transmission. Unplug each connector, one at a time and fill the contacts with this grease. Plug them in and pull them apart about 20 times each before reconnecting. This should shine up the corroded contacts and prevent further damage. I do this to all the older machines I buy. But be advised that it is possible to damage a badly corroded connector but then if it can't tolerate this then it's already shot. If it fall apart, you can hard wire it and dump the connector.
Ok thanks. I will check and clean all the connectors and see what happens.
Hi Bruce, I have the same probleme on my 410e. Can you help to fix it?
does your shifter look like this?
no. it's just 4 speeds on round stick. 1 3 4 speed doesn't work on forward and reverse. Only 2nd gear works on both side.
yes....it's not the same....look like
Did you get it fixed i have the same backhoe as yours and its doing the same thing now
Welcome to HEF, Matt ! Eric P hasn't posted about his problem in over a year. Hopefully one of the Deere experts will read this and offer some help.
Welcome to HEF, Matt ! First, is this machine a Powershift (4 speeds on the column lever) or a manual shift with a shifter on the floor? Also need to know specifically what it doing. Intermittent engagement of random gears, specific gears, etc. Third thing we equipment people always need is a serial number.
It is a 4 speed manual with forward reverse lever by the steering wheel it was intermittent but now every time i shift it to forward it goes to neutral i have to move the forward reverse shift lever back and forth a couple times and then it will go in to forward the reverse gear works good and the manual part of the transmission still shifts good but does the same thing in every gear
When it goes into forward does forward then work fine?
Yes it does
Sounds like your FNR switch on the column. Do you know how to use a voltmeter? Make sure you have voltage coming out of the FNR on the T11 Blue wire (Forward)(Reverse should be T13 Blue). If not then your FNR is bad.