Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new jd 410 owner with some questions…

brownie83 ยท 2013-06-27 11:27

Hey guys and gals... I have tried other forums, but this looks like id get a correct answers. I have a 1973 JD 410 backhoe. I just got the machine and am trying to get everything fixed and fluids changed, etc. I also have a complete parts hoe that was given to me in the deal. Im trying to get the tach to work. On both machines, there is nothing inside the cable, like i would expect to make it spin. Should there be something in the cable? Also i cannot see where the cable goes into the block/bell housing to see if there is anything in the hole. Any tricks for that? And lastly, is the fuel gauge purely a potentiometer? The fuel sender has infinite resistance either open or closed. I just want to make sure the im getting the right parts. I hate to buy parts and keep throwing things at it for it not to work. Any or all help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot Chris

Replies2
  1. #1OldandWorn2013-06-27 11:36

    The tachs may have froze up and broke the drive cables inside. I don't know where the cable goes but you can look on jdparts.com and see the parts breakdown. The fuel sensor should operate like a potentiometer.

  2. #2brownie832013-06-27 11:41

    i took the tachs apart...they are totally free and i can spin the needle from the back with my fingers. just wanted to make sure before i spend the cash on the cable. thanks...