Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 model IHI 28J

Joshbo · 2025-05-05 20:20

I’m not a big forum participant but I could use some input. I recently acquired a 2000 model IHI 28J that’s not in the best of shape. Once it warms up it blows white smoke out the crankcase breather tube. Doesn’t seem to affect its ability to function, but also doesn’t seem great to have that much smoke. Research indicates possible major engine issues. It is an Isuzu 3LB1 motor. Any recommendations as to potential rebuild or replace on this motor. Again, sorry if this isn’t the right place for this question.

Replies5
  1. #1Simon C2025-05-05 23:37

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums! Joshbo. White smoke out your crankcase breather sounds like coolant in the oil. Have you looked in your radiator to see if there is cumbustion garbage in it. Is your oil clean or milky in coulour. Not there so trying to figure out if your head gasket has been leaking leak into pan. Has unit been sitting a long time, any other info. Simon C

  2. #2Samarskii_ma2025-05-06 04:16

    Engine repair manual. May be useful to you https://drive.google.com/file/d/16X7icxxzwG4Sf9tSB4xEe-m9oulaVUC8/view?usp=drive_link

  3. #3Joshbo2025-06-16 17:40

    Sorry for the delayed response. I have not checked those things yet but certainly will it seems like there’s also diesel fuel that sporadically comes out that same vent. I had a couple of videos but haven’t figured out how to post them just yet. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about the machine or whether it’s been sitting. It fires right up very easily and runs smooth, but does have these issues.

  4. #4Joshbo2025-09-01 20:54

    Problem solved! Replaced the 2 O-rings on the inner cartridge of each fuel injector pump and changed the oil and filter. Thanks for the help!

  5. #5Simon C2025-09-04 18:29

    Good to here you got it figured out. Simon c