Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 new holland ls170 charging

BC_99 ยท 2024-02-05 11:31

I have a 2000 ls170 that recently wouldn't start. It doesn't get used much so, I figured it was a weak battery. I was loaning it to a friend and we needed to get it on his trailer, so I charged it up. After charging the battery, it still didn't start. Barely turned over. I jumped it off with my truck and it ran fine. We got it loaded and he left and I told him if it still didn't charge up after running awhile to let me know and I would fo get a battery. He said it started fine the next day, but it would start flashing the battery light after a little while and the voltage will slowly climb to 17+ volts. The machine started fine for him every time, but continues to show higher than usual voltage after a short time. Any suggestions? BC

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2024-02-05 12:07

    Check the battery voltage directly with a multimeter. If it's really 17V, then the alternator is bad, UNLESS there's a shorted remote sense wire connected to the alternator, but I don't think that would be common on a skid steer. In any case, the alternator or wiring at the alternator is the only thing that can make the voltage high, the battery can't, and the rest of the machine can't. If it's putting 17V to the battery, check the voltage of the terminals on the back of the alternator, then find a diagram of what they are on that model alternator. Get back to us here if there's still any question.

  2. #2BC_992024-02-05 12:11

    Thanks for the reply. I will check the voltages with a multi meter and see what I find. BC