Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 953C

Shinny Tooth · 2025-01-30 00:24

Hi, I have a 953C that seems to lose more power than it should when attempting to turn slightly and resumes full push power when going straight. What should I be looking for? I have a new full undercarriage on it. But it seemed like the lose of power while turning gradually started. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’ve had two mechanics adjust the pedal’s sensitivity and it didn’t seem to help.

Replies26
  1. #1TVA2025-01-30 04:12

    You need to monitor charge pressure, if when you attempt to turn slightly your charge pressure drops - then the problem is in your hydrostatic pump(s) displacement controls.

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 08:58

    Is it one direction or both?

  3. #3Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 10:03

    It happens in both directions

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 10:31

    Does your low charge pressure light come on under load? check high idle switch electronic function (engine off calibration sub mode 10) check high idle, could possible be speed sensor bad

  5. #5Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 12:41

    The low charge pressure light does not light up under pressure.

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 13:50

    Does it make any difference warm of cold? I would check hi idle and switch

  7. #7Nige2025-01-30 14:05

    Does the SERV CODE icon on the dash stay on after the panel has gone through the self-test after the key is first turned on.?

  8. #8Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 14:58

    It is consistent while running just getting started or after a couple hours of work

  9. #9Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 14:59

    No the dash light all shut off after a minute or two after initial start

  10. #10Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 15:01

    It only happens going forward. Reverse is as it should be.

  11. #11TVA2025-01-30 15:15

    Does it do it when turning both ways?

  12. #12Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 16:10

    Yes it happens both ways left and right and more specifically going forward. Reverse seems to work as it should.

  13. #13pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 17:38

    I'm thinking there are shuttle valves in solenoid manifold that cause drive problems but I can't remember what the symtoms are I'm almost positive there is a service mag on it the valve is 1832808 Nige might be able to find it

  14. #14TVA2025-01-30 17:48

    Who are you calling “shuttle valves”?!?! Ya gatta call it CAT names - “resolver”!!! That thing always cracked me up!

  15. #15pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 18:00

    I did

  16. #16TVA2025-01-30 18:02

    Dang!!! They not being true to themselves!

  17. #17pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 18:09

    sneaky aren't they

  18. #18TVA2025-01-30 18:16

    Resolver is scuch a “old school British thing”, I don’t think anyone besides CAT called those things that. Or I might not be old enough.

  19. #19Nige2025-01-30 18:45

    I think first of all we need to know the Serial Number of the machine in question to figure out iwhether or not SEPD0746 actually applies. The change came part way through 953C production. The use of shuttle valve or resolver seems to depend which product group is talking. The BHL guys always used resolver, it appears the track loader guys used shuttle valve. As for the others, your guess is as good as mine.

  20. #20pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 18:52

    I'm sure all the c s use the same valve

  21. #21Shinny Tooth2025-01-30 19:02

    2ZN03618

  22. #22Nige2025-01-30 19:05

    They do, but the shuttle valve was "improved" and the Part Number was changed during the production run of 953C. Everything after BBX00157 were built with the new P/N of shuttle valve already installed. But we have a 2ZN-prefix machine which predates BBX, so the shuttle valve Part Number update would apply to all machines...........

  23. #23pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 19:51

    I can remember changing them I can remember you have to remove air filter to get at them But I can't remember what problem they caused But I'm old it may take a while for me to remember

  24. #24Shinny Tooth2025-02-01 20:49

    Ordered two new shuttle valves to see if that causing the issue.

  25. #25Shinny Tooth2025-02-10 00:01

    Had a chance to replace the shuttle cakes the weekend and they seemed to help a little but still had the same issue. After a while he was able to s determine with use of a scanner the high ideal was not hitting the required 2250 and it would keep it in limp mode which allows the engine under pressure to build up RPM to increase power. The throttle cable seems to have stretched and after some significant adjustments the power lose issue seemed to resolve. Thanks to all assisting with the trouble shooting.

  26. #26Shinny Tooth2025-02-10 00:02

    Thanks Nige & Pittsburg Cat Man