Hey guys, so I've been looking for an older track loader to help me clean field fence lines and some woods on my property. I found a 955k that I think is in pretty good condition for a nice price. I was wondering if anyone could help me with info on it. Seller says the S/N is 85j8214. Thank for your help guys.
You should double-check the Serial number with the seller. Ask him to confirm with a photo if possible. The 85J-prefix 955K model changed to a 955L from Serial Number 85J4672. The more usual situation is sellers trying to make out their machine to be a newer model (decals are easy to replace) than it actually is, not older.....
See that's what I was thinking too from looking at different stuff you've posted on serial numbers. I'll send them a message and double check.
Here's the picture they just sent me. Looks like it's actually 85j3814
I agree, and that makes it an early 955K (S/N under 4671) with a D330C engine. The 955L was introduced from 4672 and at various points up to S/N 6246 various improvements were made but the engine remained a D330C. From 6247-Up the 955L was fitted with a 3304 engine. If you want opinions regarding the condition of the machine then posting some photos of it might help.
Never hurts to get the opinion of others that know more about them here's the pictures o have and a link to a video of it. https://streamable.com/j0bgry?src=player-page-share They're asking 8500, but I'm sure I can get them to come down alittle on it.
Last picture
Doesn't look too bad overall but the biggest concern is the undercarriage. Looks like new sprocket segments were put on worn chains in the last pic. The rollers appear to be hitting the pin bosses. New undercarriage would cost more than the asking price of the loader. If everything worked good and the engine didn't smoke or have a lot of blowby maybe??? it would be worth doing the undercarriage or at least looking for better used undercarriage. Would also be good to have a ROPS.
The biggest concern for that machine is no ROPS regardless of it's mechanical condition. That loader is a death trap without one. Had a great uncle die when his JD 350 loader flipped over while he was working on his farm. If they don't have a ROPS or you can't find one for that machine do not buy it.
The Tracks look to be in strong condition and are SALT chains (the best) the Final Drive is showing a sweat mark but it could have been stood some time, I would be very happy to buy the Shovel for the $$$ asked, they don't take long to pay back that sort of spend out, it looks handy enough for the task you want it for, plus all the jobs you never thought about tackling, plenty of life in the Undercart.
Around tree's definitely need a ROPS. I guess it depends on how many hours of use you think you'll need it. Would think there would be a used ROPS kicking around in a used equipment or salvage yard.
Some earlier ones didn’t have the ROPS mounting brackets
You could always build a ROPS frame on the Farm if it makes you feel happy, it's easy to over build it to the strength you think your life might be worth, or run it as it stands it's not a deal breaker in my mind.
A ROPS could be built provided the builder was competent enough at welding. Having a welder doesn't automatically make a person qualified to build something like a ROPS.
Securing it properly to the machine is the problem As I stated the early one’s didn’t necessarily have the mounting brackets attached Just my two cents
The machine in the pic is an L according to Nige. Not an early model.
Sorry but that's not correct. See Posts #4 & 5. Originally in the OP a Serial Number of 85J8214 was mentioned which would have made it quite a late L with a 3304 engine, not a K as per the seller. Question: Why would a seller want to make a machine appear older than it actually is.? When a photo of the S/N plate was supplied by the seller the number actually turned out to be 85J3814, making it a K with a D330C engine and the decals are correct.
Oops. Just read the first post where OP posted S/N is 85j8214
If one is truly getting personal with trees and brush, a ROPS and 3 screens are very handy indeed. you can bull your way about a bit more.
I think I covered all points with the Life might be worth bit, a lot of Farmers are fairly able with a Welder and know what a Barn looks like, the ROPS is like a Barn but smaller, it was not law to have a ROPS at that point in time but might very well be chosen by the owner, myself I cannot stand the things but do get the reason to having them, as for a Farm made frame it will be better than nothing although it will lack an Approval Plate.
If working around tree's it only takes 1 errant limb to fall and seriously injure or kill the operator. Often happens when least expected. If just working on fairly flat ground a ROPS isn't a real necessity. Just have to read several posts where operators have been hit by tree's and saved by having a ROPS. As far as a homemade ROPS if it isn't properly designed and welded would provide a false sense of security. Some farmers and private owners are fairly competent welders and could build a suitable ROPS. However there are also a lot of farmers and private owners that think they can weld but are just fooling themselves. A common saying is good enough for the girls I go out with. Not on something as important as a ROPS for working in tree's and bush. Some of the safety requirements on new equipment are a little ridiculous. Requiring a ROPS is because many have been killed and injured because there wasn't a ROPS.
Certified and engineered are called ROPS and have to be mounted to suitably heavy mounts usually welded to the frame structure. Anything less is just a brush canopy which may keep the trees off the operator but would fold up like cardboard in a rollover
Some early ROPS will have a tag saying designed for roll over protection but not tested. The testing is the expensive part.
You can review my long thread on all the fun I've had with my 85J 955L: HeavyEquipmentForums I worked on a lot of repairs but it has done a LOT of work for me on my farm. It is a great machine for clearing trees but falling object protection is a must. I've had several trees fall on the machine and had to stop and chainsaw stuff to get it off the machine. Dead trees will fall in really scary directions when pushed on. Check and see if the bevel gear case fluid level is high and the transmission fluid level is low. That is an indication of worn pumps transferring fluid from one case to the other. Not an expensive repair, but a pain in the butt.
That's why we call them "widow makers".
neighbor had a dead leaner leaning on another dead tree. Drove me nuts! I brought home the 120 and rectified all that, and loaded it back up. Took way longer to load and unload. He was out there mowing the lawn under that mess.