Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 Bobcat 863G problem

roadrunner81 ยท 2011-04-29 11:43

I've got a friend of mine that I turn wrench for at times, He called me the other day and asked me to come take a look at his bobcat. He says its low on power, maybe 75%. A job earlier he stated that he had started the machine and it died a couple of times before it would run, now it starts and runs but is low on power. I've worked on this machine in the past and it seems to me that it has a relatively simple injection system. Sounds like a fuel problem, I know the filters have been changed, is there a screen in the tank pick up? What do I do to test the pump? I have not looked at machine yet to see if a cylinder may be down but its only got 1600hrs. thanks for looking.

Replies4
  1. #1willie592011-04-29 20:21

    Yes, there is a small strainer screen with a back check ball at the end of the pick up tube inside fuel tank, check ball prevents you from clearing fuel line with compressed air. Typically, when they clog with debris, the engine will either lose power or stall altogether. When this happens, if the stainer is clogged, it will suck the in-line fuel primer bulb flat. Run the machine until it stalls out. Immediately check the primer bulb. If it's flat, strainer clogged. If it's not flat, it's possibly a broken pick up tube in tank, hole in fuel line, or failing lift pump.

  2. #2barklee2011-04-29 22:32

    I had that happen on a 763 we used to have. Turned out to be the strainer in the tank. Had to fix it in -5 degree weather. Wonder if he ran it out of fuel? That is what started our problem I also had the primer ball slightly crack, it would suck in air but not seep fuel. That might be something? Hope that helps!

  3. #3roadrunner812011-04-30 10:41

    Tanks I'll have a look Monday

  4. #4Reel hip2011-05-07 18:48

    Hope for something easy. Most line problems on the 863's require you to remove the motor to get to the tank.