I have a couple of questions about recharging A/C on this rig. I believe the low pressure side is supposed to be on the dryer, but mine has the big male quick coupler which I'm told is the high side. Right out of the compressor the line nearest the cab has a threaded male Schrader valve which I believe is a #4 or #6. I don't know anything about A/c so any advice is really appreciated!
Picture? I don't know how IH were configured in that year but I can identify the components if I see them.
I'll try and get some tomorrow.
Having a hard time loading pictures! Will try again tomorrow.
Let's see if this works This is the dryer on the passenger side. It has the large quick connect!
This is the fitting coming off the compressor nearest the cab. Looking from the driver side.
Service ports on R134a are always quick connects. The one with green slime coming off the compressor is not a service port. It is probably a port for a high pressure cutoff switch that is now missing for some reason. It is covered in green slime because the o-ring was the seal so everything below it is on the system side of the o-ring. The one on the dryer is the high side. Only on Ford and GM pickups and some Peterbilts is the dryer on the low side but this is obviously a high side dryer. You need to follow the low side plumbing after it comes out of the evaporator and you will find the low side port. The low side plumbing will come straight out of the evaporator or probably the expansion valve that is right next to the evaporator and go straight to the compressor, not very much low side plumbing.
Thank you! I'll check it out tomorrow when it's light.
Found the other port! Thank you very much Birken Vogt!
Is there a connector dangling near the missing switch?
No, not that I'm aware of. It is also a Schrader valve. I will look closer f it ever stops raing!
Something is missing there and ought to be replaced. It probably will not even run until you do.
I'll check it out. I retired from Calfire as a HFEO and I believe they still have some of the old International books I can look at. I'm hoping it is just a cap. I did get a chance to look and there isn't any connecters nnear there.