Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

87 Ford LTL 9000

Diesel_Brad ยท 2017-02-22 09:18

Hey, been here for a little while, but only about my Ford 260C industrial loader tractor. Anyway, I juts picked up a 87 LTL 9000. It is far from perfect but I think it was spec'ed right, so it is worth fixing up 400 cummins 13 speed newly air ride Flat top sleeper The cab/doors and nose are in rough shape But I found a brand new cab/doors at a dealer. It sat outside for a little so it has some surface rust. My biggest dilemma about it, it has a V cut for a walk thru Hi top sleeper, My cab is only a square cut to hop into the bunk. Do you think i could use the V cut cab and just have access to the area under the mattress?

Replies4
  1. #1alb3rton2017-02-28 07:23

    Congrats on your new rig! Looking forward to see some pics.

  2. #2Dickjr.2017-03-01 17:10

    I still see a lot of the LTL's on the road around here and some are tri-axle dump trucks. One guy in particular has one as a dump with a decent amount of chrome and nice paint. Still a good looking truck. Runs daily just like the ones that cost 150 grand.

  3. #3crane operator2017-03-01 17:24

    I think you could use the v cut cab- you may have to do some extra sealing up to keep from getting a lot of dust and dirt into the cab- if the little side door seals are gone, that dust is going to go right on into the cab. I like the ford 9000 too. I currently own 1, a old day cab, the big gripe most people have with them is the steel cabs, have a tendency to rust out - unlike other aluminum cab trucks. Sure, there's no factory support any more- but most everything you would need is aftermarket available, or junkyard, available. I really like their cabs, I find them roomy with great visibility, with that big front window, compared with say a old freightliner classic.

  4. #4Planedriver2017-03-01 17:49

    Crane, You are right about aftermarket parts being available. The parts that are getting really hard to find are for the front end, esp. any steering linkage. Strangely, the only Sterling dealer in Michigan stocks a lot of cab parts!