This has been a consistent issue for this machine since I got it (3 years ago). I've been hunting for an answer but haven't come up with anything. It only happens after I've been operating it for a little while and everything is good and hot. When i come off the throttle quickly - it stalls out. Then it won't start again. I'll usually let it sit for 5-10 minutes then finally it will catch and start after cranking for a little bit. After that it runs great until I come off the throttle too quick again. I've changed the fuel filter, but that hasn't helped the situation out at all. My knowledge on heavy equipment is minimal... but I feel like it's an air lock in the fuel system or something along those lines. Any help with how to troubleshoot this, or pointing me in the right direction would be great. Thanks!
I think you're on the right track, unless the pumpguy comes along and pulls something out of thin air about the guts of the injection pump. There's more to the fuel supply than just the filters. I'd check the whole fuel system from the pickup in the tank, every line, fitting, hose up to the injection pump. Blow them out, look through the fittings, check for blockage or deteriorated rubber inside or outside.
IF it has a DPA pump on it..?? it sounds exactly like a flat spot on the mv arm.. & when u take the load off of it, it sticks in the shut off position.. It depends on the type of inj. pump.. Weed out the obvious blockage issues first.. Lol.. out of thin air..
Some numbers on the pump or possibly a photo of the entire unit would be helpful.
So Pumpguy, if it's a flat spot, will slamming the throttle open a few times, or holding the throttle open and rapping on the injection pump with a small screwdriver handle unstick it and let it start right away after stalling?
Nope.. IF its a DPA type pump, the flat spot is worn into a metal thrust pad.. that goes against the metering valve.
Just had similar issue and mine was a clogged in line fuel filter before the electric fuel pump. Maybe see if you have a hidden in line fuel filter
So she runs like new huh doc.?? Lol, that's funny.. We've all been there once or twice.. Happy for ya. I'll bet u had your hand on it 10x & it never dawned on ya.. lol.. Well, at least u got some pump experience & some new tools..{5pt tamper}
You got that right. It’s always good knowing more about the machine for future reference