Just thought I would share this picture. This is what happens if you neglect greasing your front axle king pins. This is a bit of a design weakness of the 580 SK SL SM SR range of backhoes, with the Carraro front axle. Even with greasing, this bearing cup will eventually wear, & then they break up usually damaging the housing. Regular greasing is the only way to prolong their life. However if the problem is noticed early & serviced with new parts BEFORE they fail, they are not overly expensive to repair. This is what I faced yesterday (new part in worn hole)..... on both sides of the machine. (this is the "better"side.......) ** SERVICE TIP ** - Keep your king pins greased! ...... I'm too old for this......
Wow, I did grease mine just the other day thank goodness. Wonder how many greaseless hours that took?
Do you have a few more pics? Is what you have in the picture the lower thrust bearing? Mike
Crikey alrman; The pins in our "SK" have some movement and I have grease pouring out of the gap between the planetary housing and the axle. Think I might turf them next time I am getting some parts in. Cheers and thanks.
I dread to think..... however I do recall mentioning that they were in need of attention about 10 months ago....... Yes, that is the lower bearing, my head is on the ground, taking this pic. I do have only the finished repair pic, using the term "repair" loosely...... you tell the client the axle needs to be removed & stripped & then visit a machine shop or I can do an "on-site" weld & grind & they always choose the "no warranty" cheaper option........ Just a little "heads up" - as these are a real issue as these machines are getting older......
Be sure and grease top and bottom on king pins 2wd and 4wd both.
I recently did another repair on one of these failed king pin bearings. It was an extremely damaged axle housing on a CASE 590SL where the front wheel trunion actually separated from the main axle housing. In the 'old days' when these machines were newer & being used by contractors, I would never have considered a welding repair for a failure as bad as this one - another axle housing would have been sourced either new or used. However, this was off a property machine, never to be driven on a road & only being used for a few hours a month. The owner had only just purchased it & had no funds available for an axle swap over. He had seen my website pictures of the above repair & pleaded with me to carry out a repair as best I could..... Just showing how bad these axle housings can be & still be reclaimed with some time & patience.
Good job on repairing that
I don't think that is going anywhere. Good job on the repair.