Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 terex ts14g with 2002 international problems throttling up

Fob13 · 2023-11-21 17:38

back engine will start will throttle up for a minute or 2 then nothing I can have my foot all the way to the ground and nothing engine will run but won’t throttle up then after some time throttles up but slow for a minute or 2 then nothing again new fuel filter oil good coolant good can’t figure it out

Replies7
  1. #1Questionable wizard2023-11-22 07:25

    You likely have a broken wire or bad connection, between the throttle position sensor and the engine ECM. I need to look through my information in the next few days and get back with you, but the ECM views the TPS position and Idle Validation Switch voltage relationship. At slow idle the ECM needs to see 0% throttle percentage and 24V+ IVS. Off idle, the ECM must see no IVS voltage and some amount of throttle %. I.E. if the TPS percentage drops out (broken wire, poor connection, failing TPS, etc.), while the IVS voltage is off, the ECM limits the engine to an idle. If the ECM stops seeing throttle % for a moment while the IVS voltage is zero, a code is set and throttle is limited to low idle. Wiring on these machines needs to be in PRISTINE condition for trouble free operation. You have 40+ feet of wiring between the rear ECM and TPS in the cab. Also I've found the throttle position sensors with the internal IVS, the internal switch fails frequently switching 24V on and off as they were designed to switch 12V by design. I.E. they fail frequently, even with genuine Williams Controls TPSs. End result in our situation with frequent rear engine throttle issues, we were losing some of the 5 reference voltage to the rear TPS from the rear ECM(the amount of wiring the 5 reference volts needs to travel through to the rear TPS give a lot of opportunity for problems. Basically, we were losing our throttle % momentarily because were were losing our 5V reference voltage). So I cut the wire supplying the 5 reference volts to the rear TPS. Piggybacked off the front 5V supply to the front TPS to the cut rear wire supplying the TPS. I.E. the rear TPS sensor 5V reference voltage is now supplied by the front 5V reference. I'll get some pictures in the next few days.

  2. #2Vetech632023-11-22 07:33

    Back in my day those were air operated!

  3. #3Fob132023-11-22 09:45

    Thank you!! I’ll start on that Those pictures would help as well thank you

  4. #4Questionable wizard2023-11-22 15:19

    Those were the green ones. The ones in question are the white white machines

  5. #5Questionable wizard2023-11-26 21:23

    Forward of the accelerator pedals, find the three pole Weatherpac connectors that attach to the accelerator pedals. It will have a blue, red, and black wires. Find the one with a red wire tagged 916(B). This is the 5V feed to the front TPS. I crimped another red 18ga wire onto it. Find the other three way Weatherpac connector with a red wire tagged 916(A). This is the 5V feed to the rear TPS. Cut this wire and tape off. Connect the new red wire to this so the rear 5V feed supplies both the front and rear TPSs.

  6. #6Fob132023-11-29 15:13

    Another question for you before I even got to do the wires boss ran scraper without back engine running now I have no power going to the ECM any ideas where to start Thanks I’m assuming wires but where to start

  7. #7Questionable wizard2023-12-10 17:18

    The rear engine ECM is powered by a fuse in the small electrical box mounted to the frame rail near the rear starter. Check that fuse and power to that circuit. There is only one fuse and a relay in that box. The relay can also cause that problem. That relay must be a 24V. 12V versions will burn out.