Just started running a TS-14 scraper that I bought and I am totally new to the scraper business. Its and older machine that has a DT466 retrofitted up front and the 4-71 in the back. I can turn the steering wheel about a half turn each way before any action and then it seems to jump that way. It is a nightmare to travel down the road with it jerking back and forth. There is some "slop" in a bolt under the cab where the steering is converted to the in-line plunger(forgive my ignorance in not knowing the proper terms) Any guidance from you all on what to look at for that? I assume I can eliminate some of the slop but I'm not sure that will take out the jerkyness in the steering.
Just for reference
A half a turn each way? So if your holding on at 12 oclock position the machine doesn't turn until your hand is in the 6 oclock position? The few that I have ran the steering wheel would only go about 1/4 turn each way. If yours is going twice that far I feel like you have something loose or really wore out. FWIW they can be a bit jerky.
Ya. pretty close to half a turn. I know of one spot that has slop in it right below the cab. It just has a bolt through some linkage there and I'm hoping that the bolt is a bit tight and creating a bind that is amplifying the jerkiness. Third gear and not at full throttle is tough to keep it on a road.
Fixed the slop in the linkage and the steering is way way better. A lot safer to drive down a road now. About a quarter turn of play now as well. Thanks
Good to hear. Just curious..... How well does it perform with the DT466 front engine? Can you pretty much load yourself without being pushed? Years ago I worked for a guy that had a TS14 that he replaced the 4-71 front engine with a 6-71. Was quite an improvement. Before the engine swap we almost always had to push it (unless we were loading going significantly down hill). After the swap it would pretty much load itself. Also was able to move alot faster when loaded.
It loads itself ok. I’d actually like another 20HP up front though. The back tires will spin but the front won’t. I like that it’s not so noisy up front.
If you think you need 20, you probably need at least 50.
Oh, the memories of double Detroit's in those. Music to my ears! Made a fortune on them too.
lol. I bought this one to repair a spillway on one of my reservoirs…I hope it pans out, pardon the pun