Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 Volvo EC 160 shows error code 201 and 206

larsba ยท 2023-04-10 05:47

Hi. My neighbor has a Volvo EC 160 B made in 2001, and just after he bought it showed the following error codes: ERROR 201: System ERROR 206: No teach in I found the user manual for a newer Volvo EW 160 where I found some more information: For ERROR 201 the manual says error code refers to NO CAN BUS. Is this a well known issue, and do you have any suggestions on where to start? Can the pins on the CAN BUS connector have broken, should I suspect a broken wire somewhere else... ? It seems like the 206 code is some sort of calibration routine which must be run after reset or similar. I assume this should be an easy fix? Furthermore, I saw someone had jumped some circuits, see attached picture. Pin X3-5 (Battery feed to keyboard, A35) has been hotwired into pin X3-7 (Not in use?). When this jump is disconnected, the display turns black. Does anybody knows why this is done? I can also see that the Schottky rectifiers on X6 and X4 have been moved from the main circuit board from the walls of the ECU box itsealf. This appears to be done after production and definetively looks like a hack. When I see the schematics of newer Volvos, they are moved there so I suspect it is a retrofit from Volvo. Thanks in advance, Lars

Replies38
  1. #1uffex2023-04-10 08:43

    Good day Lars Your post suggests the machine in need of a teach in, is there a chance one of the ECU's have been replaced ? Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2larsba2023-04-11 03:29

    Hi Uffex, thanks for your reply. I am not sure if the ECU has been replaced, but the one installed has certainly been taken out and then been put back in. One of the schottky rectifiers had its wire ripped off when someone before me opened the ECU, so I have soldered on a new Schottky rectifier. Best, Lars

  3. #3uffex2023-04-11 05:51

    Good day From what I gather from your post you may be better to get the local dealer plug on a lap top, I guess you do not have any error codes on the display. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2023-04-11 06:06

    Hi Lars Be sure you have not selected manual mode switch, attached some information may be of help. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5larsba2023-04-12 15:43

    Hi again Uffex Thank you for your tips! I have attached images of the display when the hotwire mentioned in the previous post is done. I will check the manual mode switch!

  6. #6larsba2023-04-12 15:47

    This jumper is what you refer to when you talk about manual mode switch?

  7. #7uffex2023-04-13 04:29

    Good day Lars See attached may be worth a check. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8larsba2023-04-15 04:51

    Hi again uffex. I got it wrong, it is a EC 160 P, not B. I can not find the auto manual switch, the drawings you sent seems to be a newer machine.

  9. #9uffex2023-04-15 07:14

    Good day Lars Is this illustration as your machine?

  10. #10larsba2023-04-15 13:12

    This looks very much like it, yes!

  11. #11uffex2023-04-15 16:23

    Good day Lars If this is the machine, it puts a different solution on the table. I would like to avoid giving you a bum steer could you check to see the label will say made in Konz Germany see attached of the display. Kind regards Uffex

  12. #12uffex2023-04-16 08:05

    Good day Lars Sorry if I did not take your earlier post into account must be my old age. I will put some information together hopefully make a fix. Kind regards Uffex

  13. #13larsba2023-04-16 09:28

    You are correct, it says Made in Konz

  14. #14uffex2023-04-16 12:14

    Good day Lars See attached, if setting the revs fails you will need to beg>borrow a Contronic tool to make the teach in, see attached. Kind regards Uffex

  15. #15tcslpcsl2023-08-09 07:02

    Hi. I have the same issue. Did you find the solution for the problem? Thanks.

  16. #16larsba2023-11-10 12:33

    Hi, unfortunately I didn't find the issue. We discovered that the machine was put in emergency mode, when we put it back in normal mode nothing worked except the RPM on the display. Have you found out anything? Thanks

  17. #17larsba2023-11-24 13:40

    So, the machine was put in emergency/low power mode. When it was turned back to normal mode, none of the hydraulic were working, with the same fault codes. Does this give you any clues @uffex ?

  18. #18uffex2023-11-25 04:57

    Good day Lars Check the fuse's it appears that the control lock out is not working, the only way I know of re-setting the ECU is to use the contronic tool. Have you a helpful dealer chances are he has one gathering dust. Kind regards Uffex

  19. #19larsba2023-11-25 12:35

    Thank you! Where might I find this fuse? Is it in the main fuse box, or is it in one on the main board as well?

  20. #20uffex2023-11-25 14:44

    Good day Lars Attached is all I have, I must admit my memory is becoming a little corroded, something to do with age. Kind regards Uffex

  21. #21Tommy ew1602024-05-26 09:37

    What do Volvo EW160 error codes mean? 1,26,40,116

  22. #22sisstemm2026-03-15 19:05

    Hello, could you please share the electrical diagram of a Volvo EW160B 2006 excavator? thank you

  23. #23sfrs42026-03-17 03:49

    Unfortunately there isn't a single wiring diagram when it comes to Volvo equipment, it comes in sections, for the EW160B there are 26 different sections based on what part of the electrics you are look at

  24. #24sisstemm2026-03-17 07:05

    really there is, but maybe someone has it?, example photo

  25. #25sfrs42026-03-17 08:07

    Sorry sisstemm, I was going off genuine prosis wiring diagrams,

  26. #26sisstemm2026-03-17 13:52

    Could you please share the wiring diagram, I would be very grateful.

  27. #27sfrs42026-03-18 04:26

    I'm not sure what you are trying to gain here, you have a wiring diagram there, you've shown the picture of it.

  28. #28sisstemm2026-03-18 07:00

    The photo was taken from the internet as an example, I don't have it, that's why I'm looking for it

  29. #29Ben Witter2026-03-19 20:53

    The diagram you attached is the control system diagram. It is not the electrical schematic. As stated the schematics are separated into a number of separate groups. You need to know which part of the electrical system your are working on and the sn and options for the machine you are working on

  30. #30sisstemm2026-03-20 12:21

    I'm repairing a computer, so I need exactly the kind of diagram in the picture.

  31. #31Ben Witter2026-03-20 15:07

    First off you should start your own thread in an internet forum with your questions/issues and not piggyback onto anther thread. Second, what you have posted is part of the training material and is not a service document. The schematics as stated are in 25 sections. I doubt it will be of much use in trying to repair an ECU

  32. #32sisstemm2026-03-20 15:30

    The tutorial part would be very good, I already fixed it, the problem was with the quartz oscillator and the processor reset

  33. #33sfrs42026-03-23 11:46

    Wiring diagrams don't go into that much depth, they will show an ECU and the pin out/in's but that is all, none of the internal wiring pcb etc

  34. #34sisstemm2026-03-23 16:46

    they will show an ECU and the pin out/in's but that is all, This is exactly what I need.

  35. #35sfrs42026-03-24 05:28

    You fixed internal components of an ecu, how does the pin in and out help diagnose a quarts oscillator and processor reset on the internal circuit board of the ecu?

  36. #36sisstemm2026-03-24 08:23

    yes, I replaced the quartz and the processor reset chip, the computer now works like new, can you share the wiring diagram???

  37. #37sfrs42026-03-25 09:57

    For the love of god! which one? there are multiple pages. this is the last time I ask.

  38. #38sisstemm2026-03-25 12:32

    I need a wiring diagram for the entire computer, like the one in the picture I uploaded. because the photo is so poor quality that nothing can be read