Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 volvo l70d 3rd and 4th valve detent

zlssefi ยท 2018-12-20 20:54

Do you guys happen to know if there is anyway to lock the 3rd or 4th valve on? We are going to be running a truc brush broom and it would be super handy to not have to hold the lever while the broom spins. I know the lift and curl use magnets and prox sensors to hold in, but im unsure about 3rd valves. Thanks in advance!!

Replies13
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-12-20 21:49

    The servo blocks are the same. You would just need to get the magnet and plate for a let's say return to dig function or similar. I would strongly suggest wiring into an e-stop on the A pillar. The magnets have a good hold when adjusted properly, easier to hit a big red button than to fight a mag in an emergency. Look to an E or F series catalog for more options

  2. #2zlssefi2018-12-20 22:32

    Thanks for the reply. Would the magnets go on the pilot controls, or on the actual valve block?

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-12-20 22:33

    Pilot

  4. #4funwithfuel2018-12-20 22:41

    There was a kit for constant on 3rd function in the F catalog. Also has the option for the E stop which could be retro fitted to the D . I used this same option to power a log processor on an L70F

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-12-20 22:50

    This attachment needed constant flow and had its own control lever

  6. #6zlssefi2018-12-21 16:16

    I contacted volvo today. They claim these magnets are unavailable. Do you know of any aftermarket or used sources for these?

  7. #7funwithfuel2018-12-21 16:41

    I do not know of an aftermarket source the only suggestion I would have is to try perhaps another dealer

  8. #8Ben Witter2018-12-22 12:19

    The option for 3rd function is 80098. I have no idea if all of the parts are still available.

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-12-22 12:49

    Ben, I think he has 3rd function, he just needs to lock it "on." Like boom float , or raise to kick-out. His dealer is telling him that the magnets are no longer available. They used the same servo manifold up to and through the G series, didn't they?

  10. #10cuttin edge2018-12-22 16:44

    Our L70F has no lock on the 3rd valve. The angle is on a toggle. Sounds cheap, but I just use a rubber bungie cord

  11. #11funwithfuel2018-12-22 16:54

    You know, in all honesty, simple is better.

  12. #12zlssefi2018-12-23 06:02

    This machine has 3rd and 4th functions from the factory. We will be running a truc brush attachment which needs constant flow for sweeping snow from the top of semi trailers. I figured i would just buy the magnets from volvo but my dealer says they are NLA. After looking at the pilot valve section, i thought about buying a 24 volt electromagnet and making my own bracket to hold the pilot levers engaged.

  13. #13Ben Witter2018-12-23 09:41

    I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The option for 3rd function detent is 80098. This can be installed as an aftermarket option but as I stated I don't know if parts are still available. There is also an option for varible fixed flow I believe, as this option will be fixed max flow. But you should be able to adjust the limiter screws on the 3rd function spool to limit flow if it is too much.