Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough H 65

PAS ยท 2018-12-20 10:55

Had one of my guys change batteries in my Hough loader. Don't know if the batteries are hooked up wrong, we got some cable and 2 big 12 volt batteries out of my forklift jumped the starter and machine fired up. It's used for backup and has not been started in a while. Any help will be appreciated to how I can get power into cab with present new batteries.

Replies5
  1. #156wrench2018-12-21 15:54

    is this a 12v or 24v starter? it looks like you have each 6v pair of batteries in series(for 12v) on each side, but is it my poor eyes or are there only 3 batt cables attached to the starter? where does the other batt cable go? is there a disconnect switch? you also need to get rid of those crappy clamp-on cable ends and go with crimp-on and heat-shrunk ends on good clean copper. that relay looks like it may be a starter relay (or could be a cab relay) but it appears to be connected wrong if its a 12v system. is the brown wire from the relay hanging loose? on a 12v starter there is never(in my experience)any wire attached to the strap between the solenoid and the brush terminal on the main starter housing as appears in the last picture. in a 12v system that wire should likely have been on the hot side of the starter solenoid. notice I said "likely" and "may" . I'm not sure-its been about 30 years since I was around hough loaders. was everything working ok before the batteries were changed? the only thing I stand behind is my opinion on clamp-on cable ends lol

  2. #256wrench2018-12-21 16:02

    also there may be something strange with the two wires attached to the s terminal on the starter solenoid. in a 12v system there would only likely be 1. maybe this is a 24v start system with some weird stuff. a wiring diagram would help. somebody on this forum should have better answers

  3. #3kshansen2018-12-22 14:32

    First thing I would do is get rid of those temporary repair ends with the two 1/4 bolts clamping the cables. Yes they "can" work but will cause problems. Best bet is good crimped and or soldered ends with heat shrink tubing with sealant in side. I'm attaching a very basic wiring diagram I just drew up that might help show how the wires should be on a machine with four six volt batteries for a 24 volt system. If you have a 12 volt system then that would be different. But lets start there and you can look yours over and see if it seems to agree.

  4. #4kshansen2018-12-22 14:37

    A bit better view of the wires on the solenoid of the starter might help too!

  5. #5PAS2018-12-24 09:12

    Thanks Guys, Took all the advice above and everything seems to be cool. Batteries are junk but brand new, hoping when we get the new cable ends will solve that. This new kid I got don't want to mark anything to where he took it off. I think he got it now his Father went down there and hassled him a bit and helped him with you Guys advise lol. Thanks again, Merry X mas to all.