Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2002-03 Case 850H WT steering brake/clutch adjust help?

Cumminspower07 ยท 2013-07-22 20:24

Hi guys,have a couple questions,first is how do I adjust the steering brakes or clutches on my 850H? I found the brake wear pins or indicators under the floor pan and according to the book I have a good amount of pad left just dont know how to do it, second, is there a vent on the hydraulic tank of this machine or does the cap vent it? I shut the machine off and heard a hissing noise and found it to be the tank cap,I cracked it and got a good amount of pressure out of it???? Any help would be great,TIA

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2013-07-23 17:27

    Re brakes - They use a power brake system. There is no description of adjustment in the manual. What is your problem with the machine? What is it doing or not doing? Re hyd - there is a breather located up high, inside the door on the RHS of the machine. Typically, they do make a little pressure to assist in feeding oil to the pump.

  2. #2Cumminspower072013-07-23 18:13

    Thanks for the response The right brake works perfect the left one works ok cold then the machine warms up and its weak you have to burry the pedal to the floor to make it work at all or pumping it seems to help

  3. #3alrman2013-07-23 18:29

    You may need to check pressures & compare pressure between RH & LH as there maybe some leakage at the brake piston or trans control valve? Does it neutralize when brakes applied?

  4. #4Cumminspower072013-07-25 22:10

    yes it does neutralize like normal when brake is applied. I am a diesel mech in the automotive field,so I am mechanicly inclined,is this something I can check with a common braided line setup with a psi gauge? How much psi are we talking and are there psi ports, compucheck fittings etc, or do you have to plumb in line with them? Is this something I can do or does it need to go to the dealer Thanks

  5. #5alrman2013-07-28 19:51

    There is a test port at the transmission filter. System pressure should be 275 - 305 psi. There are no test procedures in the manual for the brakes. Run the machine with the gauge fitted & look for pressure differences with the left & right brakes applied when operating, at cold & warm. May give a clue. After that you will need to T into individual L & R brake lines - then check the pressure being delivered to brakes to see if more than when "T"eed into it - ie should be system pressure when pedal applied not lower. Pic below is from E model - very similar