Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2002 310 SG Loader valve binding

Dlodger ยท 2026-08-03 19:48

So this was opperational but very sticky on the loader lift side of the valve assembly. The tilt was fine. The loader would either creep upwards or leak downwards. It finally started sounding like creaking ship timbers so I finally investigated, pulled the cap off expecting more visible damage. The cap was falling apart at the bolt bosses and may have been on an wee angle for a while. I realised that if I were to disconnect the linkage it would drag dirt down through it. Not the first time the top sides been washed but first with linkage removed. I had to put the cap back on temporarily to keep it from dropping out. So its out and I'm trying to figure how to disassemble this without breaking it. Has anyone taken one of these apart to service the detent balls and clean the unit.

Replies8
  1. #1mg23612026-08-04 04:58

    Remove the spring (holding it firmly while you remove the spring retaining bolt), then place a punch up into the bolt hole and depress the spring loaded pin. While holding the spring loaded pin and spring compressed, pull the parts off the spool (careful to not lose the 4 balls that are under those parts). Then you can also remove the spring and pin.

  2. #2Dlodger2026-08-04 08:01

    Its the method of removing the retaining bolt I'm worried about. Clamping at the end IMO would put a lot of stress on the narrow areas. I don't want to vise clamp close and score the machined surfaces. How to hold if firmly is where I'm at.

  3. #3mg23612026-08-04 12:15

    Clamp it the linkage end. The screw is only torqued to 8 ft-lbs. The spool will be fine.

  4. #4Dlodger2026-08-05 07:20

    mg2361. I tried to remove the screw by soft jaw clamping along with a rag full length of the shaft as to not damage it. I first tried the largest flat screw bit driver I own. I did fully fit that slot. With a ratchet it wouldnt budge. I then tried a battery impact. Then into a 3/8 pneumatic. still nothing. While in the vice i worked the collar and observerved the detent opperation. With the collar close to the vise I pried in a crowsfoot to move the collar enough, compressing the spring to see the detent balls. Im not sure I want to apply force the length of the shaft removing the slotted retainer by holding the opposite end. I would have expected the inertia in the impact blows to free it up this way. 1/2 impact is next on my list.

  5. #5Dlodger2026-08-05 07:23

    At this point I'd like to get it apart to clean out the crud but the balls looked ok. Not sure if just cleaning and reassembling will be a waste of time. I read somewhere about using marine grease on the spring in the cup.

  6. #6mg23612026-08-05 11:52

    Wow! It should not be that tight. If the balls are clean, it will probably be OK. Just replace the broken piece and give it a try.

  7. #7Dlodger2026-08-05 17:22

    Stopped by local JD dealer today. He said the same thing. Ill follow what Ive learned about this beast and put things as right as I can. Thanks for the advice Mg2361

  8. #8Dlodger2026-08-07 20:50

    So I gave another go at it and removed the retaining screw. Should have put more trust in soft jaws. I tried without the rag on the valve and was able to remove it with a ratchet. Good thing. Dried grease and some rust on the pin that drives the detent balls. Its all cleaned up with a healthy coating of marine grease everywhere there is metal on metal and then some.