Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2002 4700 International trailer brake wiring

mattyt1984 ยท 2026-03-13 21:59

I have this truck 2002 international 4700 VIN 1HTSCABM32H557160. It has factory 7 pin trailer wiring plug in back. I'm installing a brake controller where can I tap into the trailer wiring harness that feeds the electric brake pin?

Replies5
  1. #1smifwal2026-03-14 00:08

    Is your trailer brake controller not plug and play? The ones I have bought in the past were vehicle specific

  2. #2mattyt19842026-03-14 04:53

    No there is no plug and play connector to plug it in. Only wire I can find to connect to is from cab to trailer harness

  3. #3smifwal2026-03-14 09:18

    Well shoot, the brake wire is blue, so your could tap it at the 7pin in the rear or follow the wire back to the cab and tap it under the dash. Sorry I can't be more specific, i have only installed them on pick up trucks, ford specifically and I always bought the adapter to plug in to a factory harness Trailer Brake Control Wiring Diagram Trailer Parts Superstore offers this DRAW-TITE wiring diagram for general reference only. Consult your tow vehicle owners manual for specific wiring information. www.easternmarine.com

  4. #4AMBMike2026-03-14 10:17

    All you're needing is the brake light wire to signal the new brake controller to apply trailer brakes, right? In that case it doesn't necessarily need to come from the trailer plug. Most trucks of that vintage have several places in the cab where you can tap a brake light signal. The pressure switch for the brake lights is one place. Some KWs had this switch in the dash, some Sterlings had it behind the driver seat. A wiring diagram is your best friend here ...

  5. #5mattyt19842026-03-14 15:57

    Ended up just running a new wire. From factory it didn't come with one back to the plug.