1988 Peterbilt 378, CAT 3306 diesel. To adjust valves I need to find TDC #1 cylinder on compression. The information I'm finding is vague as to the location of the bolt hole for timing pin. Does anybody know where this is located on the flywheel housing? Left or right? Perhaps a picture so I can orient myself and pinpoint the spot for the timing pin . Thank you in advance.
If you can post an engine Serial Number I’m sure that information will be forthcoming.
On that rig, I’m fairly certain it’s going to be opposite the starter. Probably, very difficult and painful to reach. The last guy probably over-tightened it, too. And the corners rounded off, so your wrench will slip.
63z10830
you sure Know how to inspire confidence, lol. Love the optimism ...
Nothing wrong with a severe dose of realism. Love it..!! See attached, Page 19.
Just to throw stuff in the game we always did running mates to set the valves lot less aggravation you take your firing order 153624 split it in half so 1 and 6 are running mates 5&2 and 3&4 you watch the valves while turning engine when valves on running mates cross (just when valves are finish coming up and other valve starts going down) You adjust its running mate
That’s the way my old man always set valves. I assume that he was taught to do it that way at some point in the dim and distant past.
some times things from the dim distant past work very well!!
It’s 100% logical when you think about it. If both valves on cylinder X are rocking then its mate in the firing order must be at TDC on the compression stroke.
Or the same method finding top dead between #1 & #6 by watching valves on six just open/close events, which #1 valves will both be closed and top dead on #1 cylinder. Same as using the pin/bolt method. Mark Damper for #1 TDC. Set intake valves on 1,2,4, set exhaust valves 1,3,5. Bar/Rotate crankshaft 360 degrees back to mark on damper, it will now be on #6 tdc. Set intake valves on 3,5,6, set exhaust valves 2,4,6. Mark off each valve set with paint stick, done that way on gas engines with 153624 firing order since dirt.
That is the only way I have ever done unless setting up to remove pump for repair, then I will bother with pinning pump and flywheel. Simon C
Thank you for this information. Finished up the job a while ago. Such an easy approach to a basic operation.