Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2002 case super M series 1 brake issue after replacing discs

MT Rancher ยท 2025-07-22 04:12

I was into the rear axle to replace the pinion bearings and found one side needed brake discs. I replaced the discs with two new ones and now I am getting brake action on that side once I bolted the axle housing to the differential housing no brake applied. Brakes apply just as the bolts bottom out on the housing. I suspect it is due to the wear compensators not allowing the piston to fully retract as needed with the new discs. How do I adjust these compensators so the brakes function properly? Thanks, MT Rancher

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2025-07-22 10:14

    My guess is that the actuating lever is incorrectly positioned on the shaft. Did you follow the adjustment procedure in the service manual ? Take notice of frame #152

  2. #2MT Rancher2025-07-22 11:02

    Tinkerer, thanks for your help and information. The service manual I have that came with my machine is not correct for these brakes. It is for an earlier 590 and not the same setup as mine. So I need the correct manual to start with. I only changed the 2 wear discs (part # 237017A1) and put everything back together as it was. I did not adjust the actuating lever as it shows. I did adjust the "stop" on the parking break lever to see if I could fix it before I took it back apart and that didn't help. If you have the additional steps that are referenced in step 152 to adjust the parking brake after the axle is assembled, I believe that is what I need. Many thanks for your help!

  3. #3MT Rancher2025-07-22 11:10

    Tinkerer, I do have the correct parts catalog (Bur 7-6100). If you know and could send me the exact service manual publication number I need for my machine, I will get one ordered. Thanks again!

  4. #4Tinkerer2025-07-22 11:52

    No need to order one. I have the series 2 manual. The Brake section in it should be the same as your series1. Send me your email address and I will give you access to download it in my Google Drive.

  5. #5MT Rancher2025-07-22 11:54

    I removed the lever and spring and brake discs are still being compressed with the last turns of the housing bolts.

  6. #6MT Rancher2025-07-22 12:05

    Thank you very much! I sent it to you.

  7. #7MT Rancher2025-07-22 18:04

    To close the file on this one. I ended up spreading the axle housing back apart and slid a couple cardboard spacers in with the disc/plate pack from the top, then bolted up to push the piston and the wear compensator split bushings back into normal limit. Once I took the cardboard back out and reinstalled, everything works as it should. Thanks Tinkerer and this forum for the manual/information, greatly appreciated!