Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 4300 Durastar

wlhequipment · 2025-01-17 14:19

Hi folks, I just went and looked at this truck. It's missing the IDM and ECM, it seems. First of all, can anyone confirm or deny? Secondly, I'd like to know the correct p/n for the missing parts. The VIN is 1HTMMAAL13H574359. Thanks much and stay worm this weekend!

Replies41
  1. #1wlhequipment2025-01-17 15:53

    I found out that this one has a combined ECU, not an ECM / IDM. P/N 2593622C1. If anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears

  2. #2crane operator2025-01-17 17:59

    I doubt someone took the ecm off a perfectly running truck, and then just never put one back on......

  3. #3wlhequipment2025-01-17 19:34

    It's going to be a fun ride.

  4. #4Truck Shop2025-01-17 20:49

    pew.

  5. #5Junkyard2025-01-17 21:53

    Yuck. Get good with electrical diagnostics. They’re bad.

  6. #6mekanik2025-01-17 22:35

    Can you post pics of the ECM connectors there should be two or five?

  7. #7cfherrman2025-01-17 23:11

    Dude stay away from international

  8. #8Coaldust2025-01-17 23:17

    Oh’ boy. Shame on the mess.

  9. #9mekanik2025-01-18 08:23

    The part you are looking for is a 2593622C1. The IDM is internal in the ECU. That is a reman part through international. You might find one from a wrecking yard. If you do a dealer would have to program it to your VIN. That is an early DT466E they were a very good engine. At 215 HP not a lot of power. What became of the original ECM? The were not prone to failure.

  10. #10wlhequipment2025-01-18 08:42

    There's 2.

  11. #11wlhequipment2025-01-18 08:46

    I already found a couple suitable replacement ECUs. I understand I could use older, superseded numbers like 1807476C1. Is that true? Dealer says he'd need either the whole truck or the ECU and BCM, and he could program it. We were talking about a new one at that time. He didn't say (and I didn't ask) anything about a used one. But I assume the process would be the same.

  12. #12wlhequipment2025-01-18 08:50

    I definitely hesitated because of that. I've worked on a few of these. Here in CO, it's so dry we don't have issues like more humid places do. It seems most of these rigs have problems caused by water getting places it shouldn't.

  13. #13wlhequipment2025-01-18 08:55

    Word is, it was stolen. The guy I bought it from, bought it from a construction company, drove it over to his yard, and while it was in there, someone got in a grabbed the ECU. It still has the BCM and TCM. Just the ECU was removed. And it was removed nicely, unplugged and not just cut. Might be true, might not but it makes a good story. I'll find out when I stick a new one in there and crank it.

  14. #14wlhequipment2025-01-18 09:01

    The good thing is, I have all the time in the world. This rig is going to replace my '85, which will never die. I'm also going to learn from the mistakes I made setting up that '85, like putting the Ranger 8 (which will also never die, apparently) in the bed of the truck body. That seemed like a good idea at the time, but that sucker's going in between the cab and the body on the new rig. I'm real excited about that.

  15. #15wlhequipment2025-01-18 09:07

    I love my cornbinders! I know lots of people don't. That trans I was going to pick up from you was going into my 13 letter **** spreader until I found this '03.

  16. #16mekanik2025-01-18 10:21

    That is a good year of truck and engine. There are a couple areas that should be addressed once the ECM has been replaced and its up and running. The cam position sensor is a failure item replace it every couple years keep the old one in the truck for a spare just in case. There is a tiny metal clip on the engine harness very close to the cam position sensor that clips to the front cover casting, make sure its in place or over time the wire in the harness will fail from vibration. There is a pressure sensor on Tee fitting at the high pressure rail on the left side of the engine that occasionally fails shutting down the engine. Unplug it if there is oil in the connector replace the sensor. There is a solenoid on the rear of the high pressure pump that also fails shutting down the engine, its easy to replace. If it has an air compressor make sure the compressor rear support bracket is intact and the bolts are tight or the rear half of the front cover will crack.

  17. #17wlhequipment2025-01-18 11:11

    Not to mention the gasket at the oil rail casting that runs the length of the head. I've replaced those a few times. The fuel line and clip where the feed from the tank connects to the pump is real flaky too. That seems to be more problematic in winter when that plastic gets a little brittle. Do you happen to know if I can use the older superseded part numbers for that ECU, like 1807476C1 or do I have to have the newer part number? Dealer says newer, but they're trying to sell me a $7000 ECU.

  18. #18mekanik2025-01-18 12:34

    I'm fairly sure you can use an older ECU. I would be searching the wrecking yards. Make sure the connector retaining nuts in the centre of the ECM connectors are intact. They would come loose and rotate so you could not undo the screw holding the connector on.

  19. #19cfherrman2025-01-18 14:44

    If it's a cornbinder it's fine, of it's a Navistar it aint

  20. #20wlhequipment2025-01-18 18:11

    Looks like the deal's going to fall through anyway. Homey can't produce a title.

  21. #21cfherrman2025-01-18 23:16

    Your having some bad luck lately lol

  22. #22wlhequipment2025-01-19 08:46

    I was just starting to get a little excited at the thought of having air conditioning

  23. #23mekanik2025-01-19 08:58

    You should be able to find who has the title by getting who ever looks after motor vehicle registration in CO to scan the VIN.

  24. #24wlhequipment2025-01-19 10:52

    Oh I've been down that road many times. I even had an old Fiat once where the previous owner died, and his family / estate wouldn't sign paperwork. So I had go the title bond route, which involved, among other things, trailering the car to a safety inspection. I got the title eventually, but it was an ordeal. I'm going to let him fuss with it for awhile, maybe he'll get it.

  25. #25cfherrman2025-01-19 11:41

    Offer him half for no title purchase

  26. #26crane operator2025-01-19 12:43

    Does this one have a service bed on it already? Or is this to transplant your existing bed?

  27. #27wlhequipment2025-01-19 22:33

    This thing was a cone truck. The body's a big empty cage with a low platform on the back for a guy to drop off and pick up cones, so the body would go, and I'd swap my existing body on. Cool thing though, it has a working traffic arrow that would look totally awesome in my shop.

  28. #28wlhequipment2025-01-28 08:11

    I bought this one instead. I've driven a Spicer 5 speed, so I gotta believe this one is similar. I'd certainly prefer an Eaton, but this will do. As soon as my check clears, I'm heading out to MO to get er. Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com

  29. #29crane operator2025-01-28 17:25

    That's a old Wilbert truck, they do vaults for cemeteries. The bed is probably built to haul. The concrete vaults are like hauling septic tanks. If you have trouble, just holler, that's in my backyard,

  30. #30wlhequipment2025-01-28 18:43

    That's right! I spoke to their mechanic the other day and he told me that was used to move vaults and tow machines all over the place. Right on the money He also said they were a DOT shop, and kept his rigs in fairly good condition, so I'm hoping for a non-eventful drive home. But yeah I'll ping you if I run into anything wierd. Thanks!

  31. #31crane operator2025-01-28 21:48

    I looked at the auction sale pictures, and aside from the typical international cracked plastic in the dash, and hyd. brakes, it doesn't look too bad. Even has a bench seat if you can get the mrs. to snuggle up on a weekend ride. Usually those hoods and grills are all broken up, that one looks pristine. Look at it as a positive- at least with the hyd. brakes, you won't have air system freezing up.

  32. #32wlhequipment2025-01-28 23:02

    The brakes in my '85 are the best brakes I've ever had in any truck. I know lots of people complain about em, but I cant even get em to fade, and I've towed in the Rockies with an automatic. That's sayin' something. The wife, no way. But my daughter loves riding with me. She loves being up high to see everything. She's 13 years old and still thinks I'm ok.

  33. #33terex herder2025-01-29 13:30

    I'm close to the center of your trip if things get crosswise, especially if you take the northern route.

  34. #34wlhequipment2025-01-29 13:51

    You guys are amazing. I'm feelin the love! My plan is to take the northern route out of Springfield, then slabbin I70 all the way to Denver. I got the line set ticket, and if the ratio is right, I should be able to cruise at 70-75mph. My old '85 wouldn't do 65mph going downhill.

  35. #35wlhequipment2025-02-08 00:18

    I don't know how many hours DOT says you're supposed to be behind the wheel in a given day, but I think I may have exceeded it a touch today. I just got the thing home. Big thanks to crane operator you guys, he let me bring this turkey into his shop for a little routine service before I hit the road! I found out I had a leaky coolant cap, and was able to get another one close by, in an hour. I sure am glad I didn't find that the hard way out in the middle of Kansas. Great guy!

  36. #36cfherrman2025-02-08 11:32

    I should have given you my number for the hard way in the middle of Kansas lol I think it's 10 or 11 hrs

  37. #37crane operator2025-02-08 12:07

    Expecting pictures of the bed swap. Are you planning on just not doing anything else why you swap? Or a transfer of the tools to a temporary pickup while you swap beds between the two? Glad you made it, I figured that the second day was going to be a long one. Other than the cap, everything else working?

  38. #38petepilot2025-02-08 14:19

    Love it when a plan comes together

  39. #39wlhequipment2025-02-08 14:37

    Everything was going well until about Salina. I couldn't shift anymore. It turns out they recently put in a new clutch, but didn't have it adjusted right. Pedal went from not much to just about nothing. So a 3-4 hr delay at TA truck shop put me behind schedule. Do you remember when I first brought it in your shop, it seemed to be running a little rough, sounding wierd? A couple hours WFO on the highway cleared that right up. By the time I got home, it was running perfectly. My '85 is going to stay online until I'm ready to swap. I'm not going to see a title for a few weeks at least, so I'm using that time to fix up some oil leaks, get that body off, etc.

  40. #40crane operator2025-02-08 15:18

    It's kind of a bad feeling when you can't get out of gear. Is that a hydraulic slave or just mechanical linkage? It's a lot of back and forth from the cab to underneath, to adjust one by yourself.

  41. #41wlhequipment2025-05-10 09:00

    View attachment IMG_2227.jpeg It has taken months, but I finally got that rusty old body off of there. Oil leaks fixed and Colorado emissions passed. I cut it in half because it was too heavy for my 2 T forklift.